cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

travel to Haines Alaska

windinmyface2
Explorer
Explorer
My Grandaughter and her boyfriend are planning to drive from Port Angeles Washington to Haines alaska. They will be in a car, leaving next Thursday.
I am beyond concerned.....
Can anyone tell me road conditions, expected weather, ect?
appreciate ANY information.

worried sick.
lets go!!
20 REPLIES 20

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
I think you are very right to be concerned about the weather. Someone mentioned getting into a motel to wait out a snow storm. But as was said by someone else theyโ€™re arenโ€™t many. I think it is a bad time of the year to make that trip in a car. Making that same trip at the same time of year in an RV is a different matter.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
The roads up north are generally pretty good. Some construction here and there but just take it slow and things there are fine. If they're driving down from Haines Junction, YT, they can expect few, if any, services on that road. In addition, the customs/border crossing is NOT open 24 hours, so they need to time their run to hit it when it's open. As others have said, make sure they check the weather closely and often. Things up there change very quickly and you can't expect an open motel or restaurant just down the road, so plan ahead, plan ahead, plan ahead. BTW, the Alaska Highway was closed near Haines Junction for snow around August 20th this year, and when we went through a week later there was NO SNOW to be see except on the peaks.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 80 year old aunt drove up to the Kenai recently from Seattle in a 25 year old Crown Victoria. No problems.
Try to learn to relax.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it snows she would just pull off for a day or two and wait it out in a motel.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

windinmyface2
Explorer
Explorer
It's the weather factor that I am worried about...
thanks
lets go!!

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well these guys have just done it and you can read all about it:
RV Dreams

Probably day 128 and there on they return on the Cassier Hwy

I wouldn't be that worried she isn't heading off into the unexplored jungle...heh
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper