cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trip costs?

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Even for those who try to do the North in a few weeks or a month there are some fixed costs. Transportation costs won't vary much. The big part is getting there & coming back. Those with time don't add up that much more with their additional side trips.

Based on past experience, both on previous trips to the North & other multi thousand mile, multi month trips I figure about $150 per day without pinching dollars too much.

This covers fuel at $3 gal (will be more in Canada), 10 MPG (we actually do a little batter), 15,000 miles give or take (12,500 pulling trailer). A few $G for things like oil changes, & stuff that goes wrong. CGs at $35PN (Some will be more, most less). Food at about $25PD. A few $G for what we call Mad Money (tours, restaurants & such). Some extras like the ferry to Vancouver island.

Not many can do a trip like this & not think at least a little about costs. It all adds up. Gotta eat wherever you are. Gotta use CGs as well. The fuel & potential repairs are the biggies.

Three trips to AK since 2008 & costs have not gone up much. Maybe we are getting better with experience. We do try to stay out of restaurants & only use private CGs for laundry & sometimes WIFI needs.

Hope to do that $150PD, or less, again next year.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995
16 REPLIES 16

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
We went to Ak last year. Our freinds that went with us kept track of cost more so than us. 9 weeks, 9k mi and $9000. The three matched up. I am pretty sure we spent more than that.

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
I usually budget $175 per day when on the road.
Budget $50 per day when not traveling (parked)
We eat and have cocktails the same on the road as we do while at home so that cost only changes by location where purchasing those items. However we do every now and then have a oil change, maybe a lunch and or dinner while traveling and when parked, those costs are why I budget on the high side on both travel and parked budgets
on average only travel 3 to 4 days per week, some times we don’t move at all for a week or two.
All in Canadain funds, but we do take into account exchange rate into US funds.
We just finished 6 weeks going down Oregon coast, Northern California, Nevada and we were bang on with what we thought we would spend and we’re about $175 under budget.
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks