cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which GPS is best for Mexico?

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
I found a few older post but would like to know which GPS would be the best for Mexico?

Thanks
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.
39 REPLIES 39

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
One can just connect an external GPS to the iPad (or, iPhone, or Android device), and bypass the data charges (caveat: you have to be technically savvy, and know how to disable data/built in GPS in your device).

There are so many users data-caching on-line maps into their devices. The problem with caching online maps for later use in navigation, is that the "geocoding" and "routing" aspects are not available to you unless your "data" is turned on in your phone; only the GPS location scrolls as you drive...
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

reed_cundiff
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty much do what Keelhauler suggests. He was great help to us the first time we went to Yucatan. Spent three great winters with John and Peg on the beach down there. Hope to make it again this year

Our old Garmin did not have the Arco Norte around Mexico City on it. So we played with the Roja and the Streets and Maps (originally courtesy of John) to work out the GPS coordinates where the Norte cuts off from 57D to 150D
Reed and Elaine

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
If I would have known I could have bought 50 S&T13, held them for two years and had enough profit to take a much longer trip in Mexico...

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
briansue wrote:
What about IPad GPS if you have cell coverage?

Even in the US we do not have cell coverage everywhere. In Mexico the service is much less available. But I do have a question - isn't an iPad or whatever using data? Don't we pay for data? Isn't it expensive to have a device turned on all day using data all the time? We don't have any of those devices though we do use a laptop when stationery in Mexico - when and if we can get a signal. But we buy online time and pay as we use it. If you are going down the road using GPS - providing you did get a signal enough of the time for it to be practical - wouldn't that use up your allocated data quickly?

With an I pad, if you want GPS all the time you have to have Cellular capacity, LTE. From what I heard, you do not need to be connected to have the GPS function.
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
I just visited the Laptop GPS World website to see what others are saying about the demise of S&T. It seems Microsoft thinks they have replaced it with things like Bing Maps and now bundled with Windows 10 is something called Maps I think. But as far as I can tell there is really nothing out there quite like S&T. I sent an email to the webmaster asking if there is someway we can start a petition to beg Microsoft to start S&T again. There were things indicating that many others besides RVers love S&T - traveling salesmen - truckers - emergency responders - and many others. I am well aware there are many out there who know what S&T is but few who really know how to use all the features. Years ago I started a tutorial which I have added to over the years which tells how to use many of the features in S&T I have learned - there are probably a great many more I am not aware of - and some I forgot to add to my tutorial. I wish there was a website where a tutorial could be found so everyone could learn the benefits and intricacies of S&T - I don't know how to do it. Anyway, maybe we can figure a way to get something going in the RV world here and Laptop GPS World can get the word spread to other users and we can find a way to convince Microsoft that S&T is something I lot of people would like to see out there again.

Just another note - people said on the Laptop GPS World website they had seen S&T listed on places like ebay and Amazon for as much as $600 - for a $30 program!!?? Someone must know there are people out there who really want this program.

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
I also use S&T's a lot. I wish they would change their mind & bring it back.

Maybe we could get some sort of petition going? Maybe go to . . . http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/microsoft . . . to see if others are interested - I know they are. The guy from Microsoft who was in charge is named Larry and he used to be on the forum all the time. I think there are ways to contact him.

The problem is it takes a team of software guys to keep putting out new versions each year and not enough people buy the new version to make it worth what it costs them to put it out. People buy one in 2007 and never buy another. This is the sort of program that needs to be updated every year and at $35 or less it is a great deal. But people don't buy the new one so eventually Microsoft sells very few of them and there just is no money in it. We bought the new version every year because new roads continue to be built all over North America and a good GPS needs to be up to date. They also incorporated improvements each year (such as the Mega File) and so many things you could do with it. People on the Laptop GPS World website forum would talk about stuff and Larry would listen and try to make the requested improvements each year. That cost Microsoft money and if no one buys it there is just an overall loss so they just cut the whole program. I think even if they just issued a new one every couple years it would be great. But the public has to buy them. People have gone to the online mapping devices in their phones and think they do not need something as fancy as S&T - but those online maps can't even come close to doing what you can do with S&T. It is a huge loss to anyone who travels not to have something like S&T. We miss it.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
briansue wrote:
We have a relatively new 7" Garmin also with regular updates as new roads are built and routes a modified. The latest updates did add new roads we knew about in Mexico. But first the new roads have to be added to the master maps where the map makers get their information. Roads are never put on the map until they are actually open for business so it can take up to a couple years for some roads to show up on any GPS. We follow the GPS but we do not do it blindly. We first check the route the GPS creates for us and then if we do not like the way it takes up we add our own waypoints to force the GPS to take us the way we want to go. Then as we drive down the road we look for signs telling us that something has changed since the map was created - such as new roads - perifericos - etc. No GPS is the be all and end all of technology - it all takes human interaction. We do believe in the latest and greatest technology as far as it can take us - but it doesn't know everything. We also still use our old Microsoft Streets & Trips 2013 since that is the last year they offered it - and there are no updates - but it is still the best route planner we are aware of - up to the point where new roads have been added - some of which will appear on our Garmin as we compare routes between the two. Our Garmin cost about $220 (I forget the model #) which does not have all the bells and whistles but it has everything we seem to need. Streets & Trips can no longer be found for a reasonable price that I can find - seeing it online for over $200 when it originally cost about $30. To bad not enough people bought it so Microsoft would keep making it - it was one of the best buys you will ever see.

I also use S&T's a lot. I wish they would change their mind & bring it back.

briansue
Explorer
Explorer

Even in the US we do not have cell coverage everywhere. In Mexico the service is much less available. But I do have a question - isn't an iPad or whatever using data? Don't we pay for data? Isn't it expensive to have a device turned on all day using data all the time? We don't have any of those devices though we do use a laptop when stationery in Mexico - when and if we can get a signal. But we buy online time and pay as we use it. If you are going down the road using GPS - providing you did get a signal enough of the time for it to be practical - wouldn't that use up your allocated data quickly?

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
We have a relatively new 7" Garmin also with regular updates as new roads are built and routes a modified. The latest updates did add new roads we knew about in Mexico. But first the new roads have to be added to the master maps where the map makers get their information. Roads are never put on the map until they are actually open for business so it can take up to a couple years for some roads to show up on any GPS. We follow the GPS but we do not do it blindly. We first check the route the GPS creates for us and then if we do not like the way it takes up we add our own waypoints to force the GPS to take us the way we want to go. Then as we drive down the road we look for signs telling us that something has changed since the map was created - such as new roads - perifericos - etc. No GPS is the be all and end all of technology - it all takes human interaction. We do believe in the latest and greatest technology as far as it can take us - but it doesn't know everything. We also still use our old Microsoft Streets & Trips 2013 since that is the last year they offered it - and there are no updates - but it is still the best route planner we are aware of - up to the point where new roads have been added - some of which will appear on our Garmin as we compare routes between the two. Our Garmin cost about $220 (I forget the model #) which does not have all the bells and whistles but it has everything we seem to need. Streets & Trips can no longer be found for a reasonable price that I can find - seeing it online for over $200 when it originally cost about $30. To bad not enough people bought it so Microsoft would keep making it - it was one of the best buys you will ever see.

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks John,

I'll give that a try.

keelhauler1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Garmin Nuvi 2797 which I purchased because it is large 7", comes with lifetime maps & traffic for Canada, USA and Mexico. and it can import routes. NEVER trust where it routes me on it's own.
I use MS Streets & Trips (Discontinued in 2013).
1. Create a route with all vias you need to go the way you want.
2. Save it and then click Data/Export to GPX file
3. Copy that GPX file to the GPX file folder in your Nuvi
Now to select the route in Nuvi,
4. Turn it on
5. Click Apps -- Trip Planner
6. Find trip GPX that you saved, select it
7. Even then it may route a different way between vias, so add vias if necessary.
John

All my Mexico Trips
-------------------------------------------

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
really happy with my Nuvicam by Garmin, just used it for the first major trip, have not yet crossed into mexico yet, but through the US it automatically told me about traffic delays (I assume it picks up the info off FM stations broadcasting a subcarrier), the voice response system is far better than it was on my 855, it understands me most of the time, Large screen. The lane drift & collision alerts are a bit too sensitive, but it used its built in dash cam for that and I think window reflection is playing a part. None of tat irrritating recalculating stuff, it just adjust if you go the wrong way. A pricey GPS at $400, I think it's their most expensive, but it's worth it.

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
My Nuvi 50LM worked great in Mexico after buying a $50 Mexico map but it didn't allow me to import routes. It would take me from point A to point B but I had little control over altering the route.
After some research I replaced the 50LM with a 2557LMT($140) that comes with North America maps loaded ( Mexico, US & Canada )and does allow importing routes.
Now I just have to figure out how to easily and reliably import routes to it.