cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

anything worth seeing between Custer CD and Ft Worth Texas

patperry2766
Explorer II
Explorer II
Going to Custer SP this summer. Drive up there will be "*alls to the wall" to get there, but we have a couple of days on the return trip. Did Colorado Springs, Pike's Peak, Garden of the Gods a couple of years ago and really couldn't get to far west of I-25.

Are there any gotta see, worth stopping places in my return corridor to Ft Worth Texas that aren't too far out of the way?

Planning I-35 to I-80, then hwy 26/385 to Custer. Looks like there are quite a bit of train related things in North Platte NE, and a few things in Ogallala NE.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation
9 REPLIES 9

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is an 80 ft water fall in Valentine, Nebraska, a camp ground there too and the battle ground / massacre site at Wounded Knee. Also the Badlands of S.D. that were all very interesting to us.

3wheel
Explorer
Explorer
Oklahoma City National Memorial & Museum

A little out of the way, Kansas Underground Salt Museum in Hutchinson, Kansas.

If you go up the Gold Rush Highway (Nebraska Highway 385) you will probably see some extremely longest coal trains, the longest I have ever seen!

Wind Cave National Park just south of Custer State Park.

Careful there are a few tunnels north of Custer State Park that are very narrow, and some roads that large RVs should not travel (See this video). When we were there I personally talked to one fellow who sheared the awings off both sides of his camper. Check out this map for details.
Me, DW, DS, DWoof1, DWoof2
150 Super Crew 3.5L EcoBoost 3.55 towing a
2013 Jayco X20E with E2 Hitch

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
As your leaving Custer State Park stop in Hot Springs and visit the Mammoth Site. Then straight South to with a stops at Fort Robinson and Carhenge on the way to Bents OLD Fort National Historic Site . Then take the RV to the campgrounds in the bottom of the second largest canyon in the US Palo Duro Canyon State Park
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

Maurice45
Explorer
Explorer
South of Fort Robinson is Chimney Rock, an important landmark on the Oregon trail. The wagon ruts are still visible.

patperry2766
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cool. I can add this my collection of weird car places like Cadillac Ranch
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
3oaks wrote:
Tom Trostel wrote:
We enjoyed Fort Robinson State Park in northwest Nebraska. It's an old US Army post that was given to the state after WW II.
X2

Fort Robinson holds a lot of early American history. Originally started as a early explorer trading post then expanded and utilized by the U.S. Calvary and army right up and through WWII. There is a rather small museum on site, but full of authentic artifacts and pictures of the past.

X2 +1. And while you're in the area, for something entirely different, there's Carhenge in Alliance, NE.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Tom Trostel wrote:
We enjoyed Fort Robinson State Park in northwest Nebraska. It's an old US Army post that was given to the state after WW II.
X2

Fort Robinson holds a lot of early American history. Originally started as a early explorer trading post then expanded and utilized by the U.S. Calvary and army right up and through WWII. There is a rather small museum on site, but full of authentic artifacts and pictures of the past.

Tom_Trostel
Explorer
Explorer

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Mt Scott, Holy City, Mountain Park, Witchata Mtns, all are near Lawton Ok and worth the trip. Absolutely beautiful around there. We were just visiting friends in Lawton and i had no idea there was anything like that there.