cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Arizona State Trust Land, Foothills, Yuma, AZ.

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
After an ongoing situation between a few property owners, Arizona State Trust Land, and the Yuma County Sheriffs Office, the state trust land that parallels County 15E at the east end of the foothills has been declared off limits to RV camping. Folks who want to quad ride, walk their dogs, hike, must get a permit. I attended the monthly meeting with our area county supervisor on 10-5. The restrictions were to start 10-7. Several RV outfits use this area during the winter for get-togethers. I won't get into the rules etc. as it would be best to go the trust land website for the latest and greatest. We just don't want to see anybody fined!
6 REPLIES 6

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Trust land has always been by permit only and always subject to closure or leaseholder restrictions. The more remote the land, the less restriction. Come closer to urban areas like Phoenix or Tucson and trust lands are often closed to RVers. There was trust lands all along the 60, until they had to shut it to the public due to destruction, stay violators and resource theft.

I do think that way too much land is unmarked causing people to assume it's typical state public access land available to wonder through or BLM land. I don't think first time (non abusive) violators should be ticketed. They need to be educated and even sold a permit on the spot. Now I have no sympathy for abusers or habitual violators and I fully support the continued impounding of those violator's vehicles, RV's UTV or tents. Heck, how cheap can one be to not get a permit anyways?

Once again, signage is so lacking with remote location permit enforcement almost non existent that problems were sure to happen. But, if enforcement is increased and revenue is increased, wonder if they will get rid of that 3rd grader who designed the current permits?
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
gatorcg, not really true. I don't use it but went to support the folks who did. If you are referring to Yuma County Commissioner Darren Simmons's "Town Hall" meetings once a month at the Foothills Library, there were always folks there that used it. The Commish, in my opinion, was onboard to close it from the git go. Now the Yuma County Sheriffs' office is charged with enforcement. Not taking up for YCSO but their plate is already overloaded. And also, the commmish, retired from YCSO.

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
The squeaky wheel. The ones who complained were the ONLY ONES who attended the meeting.
The ones who used it NEVER WENT TO THE MEETING.
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
I know a lot of the property owners were getting fined this year for hiking on ASTL without a permit.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks Max, as I did forget to mention Havasu as we were told they did the same thing up there.

Chinolbz
Explorer
Explorer
Havasu as well. Check the website for rules being enforced. Max