cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Boondocking south & east of Mono Lake: sandy? buggy?

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are planning a trip to the Eastern Sierra for the Memorial Day weekend. (Ordinarily, I would not travel during a holiday, but there is supposed to be a meteor shower that weekend.) We are hoping to be in the high country, but who knows if the snow will melt in time?

So I am looking for other options, just in case. I have spent a fair amount of time on Google Earth and with my topo programs, looking at the area south and east of Mono Lake. On paper, it looks fine -- around 7000 feet (so not too hot during the day and not too cold at night). The night sky is dark, with a good view toward the north (where the meteors will be on the night of May 23-24). And I can see lots of boondocking spots, where other folks have camped over the years.

But what I can't figure out is whether the forest roads in that area are too sandy for towing my trailer. There are craters and pumice quarries in the area -- not a good sign! The roads look ok for a jeep with balloon tires, but maybe not for a trailer with normal highway tires? (I know for sure that my truck, by itself, can handle some sand -- we went off road in Death Valley in the Marble Canyon area, which is permitted, and we had no trouble.) Does anyone know if this is a "trailerable" area?

The other question is bugs -- I have read that the area right around the lake is infested with "no see ums" at various times of the year. Is that all year? How far from the lake do you have to be to get away from the bugs?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
18 REPLIES 18

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bob, thanks for the invitation!! And Tiger, that was a terrific link -- I can't believe I had never seen those publications. Many of those 4X4 routes are suitable for boondocking, all throughout the Owens Valley. Rex, that's good news about the 2-track -- I will probably unhitch the trailer, scout with the truck, and come back and get the trailer when I have found a site that is not too sandy.

I also read somewhere that in May and June, the lupines bloom all around the lake -- they grow in soft pumice.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

reasley
Explorer
Explorer
There will be a few of us camped on the Little Walker that weekend. We're only about an hour north. Come on by for a Margarita.

We'll be hitting Masonic and the Log Cabin Mine this trip. Also assaulting Mt Patterson if snow permits. You'd be welcome to join us if you desire.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Last July I boondocked E of Mono Lake, down a sandy 2-track, with my AWD Highlander and 2700 lb TT. No problems with getting around. The only bugs that came even close to being a nuisance were the ants.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
I've been on some of those roads. Most that I've driven were either washboarded or sandy, with few places to pass or turn around. I try to visit such places on T-W-Th to minimize the possibility of oncoming traffic.

Take a look at the BLM Booklet "Motor Touring in the Eastern Sierra, Mono County". Click on the photo of the cover; booklet opens on screen and is downloadble. You can also request a paper copy. Perhaps some ideas there? I especially enjoyed Crooked Meadow Road last September. You could easily take a trailer there, but it would undoubtedly be busy on Memorial Day.

Also, you can camp in the Mono Basin; see page two of this linked document under Dispersed Camping and Permits.

As to bugs, I have not visited this area so early in the season, have not experienced any no-seeums.

Have a great trip!
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed