cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Boondocking (urban) at the Mardi Gras?

slacker_cruster
Explorer
Explorer
When it is Mardi Gras time is urban boondocking doable?

If not, what are some budget options? I have a truck camper.

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10

Spleenstomper
Explorer
Explorer
I've received a code violation notice in a neighboring parish (jefferson) because I let my neighbor park a small utility trailer on my circle driveway. I had three days to remove it or it went to the next step. It was the very night I let him that I got the code notice (he only needed to for a few nights anyway). But THAT NIGHT... Someone drives around and either calls them in or a code guy is out looking around.

They are also very strict about any vehicle blocking any sidewalks or pedestrian right of way...

They have been real serious about enforcing parking and code violations in the last few years. With a TC, I'd seriously be concerned about getting towed and impounded when parking on the fly.... Sad but true...
Jennifer plus Hubby empty nest and two spoiled English bulldogs

2020 Momentum 320G with king bed!
2014 Ford F 350 DRW Lariat

The Toys:
Jacked up EX go,Old Yamaha 4 wheeler,Polaris RZR (seats 2)
Robalo R 227 dual console

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Spleenstomper wrote:
The thing is, there are all kinds of restrictions and ordinances that are absolutely enforced during Mardi Gras, such as: a camper type vehicle has to be on the back half of the property or the homeowner will get a ticket, etc.

This is from 2012: "Parking of vehicles equipped with living accommodations is prohibited during certain hours. It is strictly enforced during the Mardi Gras season, particularly in the Central Business District, Warehouse and Garden District"
http://www.wwltv.com/news/Citys-guidelines-for-parking-during-Mardi-Gras-138969114.html

People may take your money and let you park here, there or anywhere, but that doesn't mean your TC isn't going to get towed.

And don't ever ever ever, no matter how many other people are parked there, ever park on a neutral ground (median).

ahhhhh....so great you knew that.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Spleenstomper
Explorer
Explorer
The thing is, there are all kinds of restrictions and ordinances that are absolutely enforced during Mardi Gras, such as: a camper type vehicle has to be on the back half of the property or the homeowner will get a ticket, etc.

This is from 2012: "Parking of vehicles equipped with living accommodations is prohibited during certain hours. It is strictly enforced during the Mardi Gras season, particularly in the Central Business District, Warehouse and Garden District"
http://www.wwltv.com/news/Citys-guidelines-for-parking-during-Mardi-Gras-138969114.html

People may take your money and let you park here, there or anywhere, but that doesn't mean your TC isn't going to get towed.

And don't ever ever ever, no matter how many other people are parked there, ever park on a neutral ground (median).

The Toys:

slacker_cruster
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the feedback. On these locals you mentioned what is the distance from where the action is?

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, they close many streets..along the parade routes. Go two blocks either way and the roads are open. Not in the Quarter, mind you...I wouldn't go down there anyway, except in daylight. It can be a rough place.

And, I wouldn't park my RV close to the Quarter, for sure. There is an element that inhabits that area that will take an opportunity. Even car parking is tough in the Quarter. There isn't much of it and what there is goes early in the day.

If a person were to get up on Magazine or upper end of St Charles, that is far removed from the 'action' centers.

A note about Mardi Gras...it begins early in the year and there are literally hundreds of parades, both in NOLA and the surrounding states of Louisiana and Mississippi, with next year culminating on Feb 17th, Fat Tuesday. Plan your trip well...it is a blast but one needs to know stuff.

Gary Haupt

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
I keep wondering if it would be safe/secure to leave your rv too close to the activities?

Lots of odd characters roaming the streets ๐Ÿ˜‰

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Not really. See if you can pay to park in someones yard. That is a common practice for special events like football games.

Spleenstomper
Explorer
Explorer
They close all kinds of streets around mardi Gras... Not sure winging it would be a good bet. I'd look at bayou Segnette or Pontchartrain landing. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

The Toys:

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
I was in NOLA two years for Mardi Gras..and will be again next year. Where we were staying, up at the far end of St Charles, there was street parking to be had. I think that if it was me...I'd scout it out on streets off of Magazine. The folks are super friendly and if I was doing this..I'd try this...look for a likely spot and go door knocking. Ask the question...would you mind if we parked on your curb for X nights? If you get the cold shoulder....then maybe not ask again, but if you are open and pleasant, you just might hit paydirt. If you aren't welcome, then of course, you need to not be there in the morning, but a couple blocks is a lot of space.

If you do find a curb, then you just jump on the streetcar. Slick.

Gary Haupt

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
Bayou Segnette State Park would be a good option. Make your reservation early.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog