cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camping By Mohonk Preserve?

longislandcampe
Explorer
Explorer
I'm on Long Island and it's about 2.5 - 3 hours to get to Mohonk Preserve. I'm looking to check in on a Thursday or Friday in mid May and leave Sunday or Monday.

I'd like to check in Thursday or Friday afternoon/evening and go hiking at the preserve at least one day. My group would consist of 5-10 people ages 36-50 who are all active individuals.

Can you suggest any full hookup campgrounds that are near the park to the south or east of the park? Within 30-40 minutes preferably. While not mandatory, if the park also had cabins and/or tent sections then that would be a bonus.
6 REPLIES 6

NJ6PACK
Explorer
Explorer
X3 on Jelly Stone.....I was there in the spring and they were making a lot of improvements....hope it all works out there....lots to do in the area, New Paltz, Walkill Vall Rail Trail, Walkway over the hudson & Miniwaska State Park to name a few
2007 Max Lite ML28 RS
1999 Ford E 350 Super Duty 15 Passenger Ext Van
6.8L V10 / 3.73 Gears

gcloss
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
gcloss wrote:
Jellystone Campground in Gardiner is much closer than the Newburgh KOA, only about 6 miles from Mohonk Preserve, while the KOA is 13 miles.

This Jellystone has new owners this season and they have literally poured millions into campground improvements, including a really great water park and two pools.

Most of their new sites up at the top of the CG have perfect views of Mohonk Mountain House. There are also many FHU sites along the Wallkill River.

There are many great places to eat between Mohonk Preserve and the Town of Gardiner.

I have friends that we camp with that recently have been to Newburgh KOA and told me it is in need of improvements.

Lazy River Jellystone Gardiner NY

I didn't mention Jellystone because I stayed there years ago and wasn't too impressed. This would have been before the improvements were made. I don't remember if they had cabins. We stayed at the KOA two years ago and thought it was good. It was in mid October and we don't travel with kids, so a lot of the amenities weren't used by us.

The investment by the new owners is a very large water park, about 24 new cabins in addition to the 20 already existing cabins. Work is currently in progress for close to another 100 FHU RV sites on neighboring property that was purchased, a new reservation check-in center, an additional pool, bath house and rec center will be constructed in 2016.

This is now one of the largest CGs in the TrI-State area now with 336 RV/Cabin sites on more than 110 acres.
2012 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 8' box
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
gcloss wrote:
Jellystone Campground in Gardiner is much closer than the Newburgh KOA, only about 6 miles from Mohonk Preserve, while the KOA is 13 miles.

This Jellystone has new owners this season and they have literally poured millions into campground improvements, including a really great water park and two pools.

Most of their new sites up at the top of the CG have perfect views of Mohonk Mountain House. There are also many FHU sites along the Wallkill River.

There are many great places to eat between Mohonk Preserve and the Town of Gardiner.

I have friends that we camp with that recently have been to Newburgh KOA and told me it is in need of improvements.

I didn't mention Jellystone because I stayed there years ago and wasn't too impressed. This would have been before the improvements were made. I don't remember if they had cabins. We stayed at the KOA two years ago and thought it was good. It was in mid October and we don't travel with kids, so a lot of the amenities weren't used by us.

gcloss
Explorer
Explorer

2012 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 8' box
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Newburgh KOA is very nice. Even some of the FHU sites are wooded & shady, but with plenty of "headroom" for large rigs getting in & out.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
The Newburg KOA is fairly close to Mohonk Mt Preserve. Being a KOA it has full hook ups, cabins, etc. Have fun at Mohonk, it's a great place to hike!