cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

central Minnisota north

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning on spending time in the Lakre wiiny/ Leech lake area in early July. would like some suggestions on things to do and see in that area. We did the North shore 2 yrs ago. We love outdoors type things We have a small Motorcycle that we use to go on 50 mile radius trips from the camp site. Whats your favorites in that area.
PS will be coming from Michigan on US 2.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)
3 REPLIES 3

MinnCamper
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the other posters - you can't pass up Itasca state park. It's our favorite state park. In addition to visiting the Mississippi headwaters, there are a couple interesting interactive museums. They also have over 17 miles of bike trails and the wilderness trail you can either drive or bike. It's a one way paved road that takes you through the forest and is very scenic.

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 on the visit to Itasca state park. Well worth the drive.
Leech Lake and Lake Winnie are VERY large lakes and are good walleye lakes, so bring or rent a boat and your fishing poles. Bemidji is another town close by and worth a trip. Nice state park there too.

There isn't much on highway 2 between Duluth and Lake Winnie, with the exception of Grand Rapids, which is a lovely town and the birthplace of Judy Garland. If you have time, visit the Judy Garland museum. Lots of Wizard of Oz memorabilia, plus other items from her career. But the ruby slippers got stolen several years ago, and that caper has yet to be solved!

minn_camping_fa
Explorer
Explorer
My husband grew up on Lake Winnie so we get up there a couple times a summer. The big draw up there is fishing. There are guide services at the various resorts. A couple years back, a storm knocked the power out at my in-laws place, so we camped at McArdles Resort on Lake Winnie. They don't have a campground as much as it's a grassy field with full hookups, so it's definitely nothing fancy, but the people there are wonderful. I know they have a guide service and charters.

There aren't many major touristy things to do in that area, however there are some nice towns to visit. Walker on Leech Lake is a nice little town with lots of shops. If you take Hwy 2 west to Bemidji, there are some fun things to do there. Paul Bunyan Animal Land has many animals and deer to feed if you're into that sort of thing. Bemidji has lots of nice shops, couple of very nice waterfront parks on Lake Bemidji, restaurants, etc. Be sure to visit Paul & Babe!

If you want a little farther drive, Itasca State Park is a nice day trip. It's a state park but has more of a national park feel to me. It has the headwaters of the Mississippi River, boat tours on the lake, a restaurant in the lodge, a couple of very nice visitor centers and many trails. There's also a scenic drive thru the wilderness area of the park.

You could also make a day trip to Park Rapids, a cute town with lots of shops that is south of Itasca S.P..

North of Park Rapids on Hwy. 71 is a place called Summerhill Farm, more shops but the best part is their little cafe, they have really good lunches there.

That's all I can think of right now but if I think of more I'll post again. Have a great trip and be sure to bring your bug spray ๐Ÿ™‚