cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Charlotte, NC in July

Hamp
Explorer
Explorer
We are leaving New Mexico in June with a planned stop in Kentucky for the Bourbon tour then on to Charlotte for the 117th VFW National Convention on July 23 - 27. We will be traveling in a 40ft. 5th wheel.
We are open to your suggestions on routes and where to stay. Thanks for your input!
5 REPLIES 5

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
skiles wrote:
Another vote for Carowinds. Plus it's right across the street from Cabela's!

Unless they have really upgraded the sites in the last year, I would vote against them. Especially at the price they want.

Back to the OP.... it really depends on the side of town you want to be on. Just looked it up and see it will be at the Convention Center in uptown. People mentioned Carowinds, it's an option, but we don't care much for it. Sites were run down and for the cost (around $60-70/night) it's not worth it. Plus you will have Carowinds open and you will have the sounds, even in the evening. With the weekend, you might have a concert or some sort of music, so be prepared.

There is a KOA, at the next exit down in SC. There are some mom and pop places in Concord. There is the Campground next to Tom Johnsons Camping Center (now a camping world), but it's nothing better than a gravel pit. No shade and it will be hot. You can also go further north towards Mooresville (about 45 minute drive in normal traffic). There are some places up there. Lake Norman RV Resort is a nice place and a little pricey. But on the lake and beautifully landscaped. You can take Hwy 16 and is normally less crowded than I-77.

Please give an idea of more of what you want. Just a place to park? Something quiet? Nice? Distance?
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Krazykid
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure of how busy this place is during summer months, but drove past it a few weeks ago.

http://www.crowncovervpark.com

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
"IF" you like State Park Camping. You can stay at Kings Mountain State Park, just down I-85 from Charlotte. They have electric and water on site, no sewer. Nice bath houses, and a dump station.

Also there is Statesville KOA just up I-77. AND if you want to stay closer in. You can try www.visitnc.com/listing/tom-johnson-camping-center-racing-resort. Tom Johnsoncamping center. Now owned by Camping World. But it is closer to Charlotte, and besides the Charlotte Motor Speedway. There is lots of shopping, restaurants, and other activities to chose from.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

skiles
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Carowinds. Plus it's right across the street from Cabela's!
2009 Outback 268rl
2015 F250 Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
Not a clue on the route. But where are you staying in Charlotte? if you haven't found a campground, we really like Carowinds Camp Wilderness.