cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Columbus Ohio

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
We're looking for a campground in Columbus, Ohio as a stopping point to visit COSI and the Columbus zoo next summer.
We'll have 14, 12, and 8 year old kids with us.
Anything you'd recommend nearby with pools/waterslides, and lots of commotion for the kids?
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog
7 REPLIES 7

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Make reservations as soon as possible for Alum Creek or Deleware State Park. Both are close to attractions and are beautiful parks.

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
Alum Creek SP

wilcamp
Explorer
Explorer
X3 on Alum Creek SP. We've stayed here two times. Sites are all cut back into the trees, offering a visual privacy screen from neighboring sites. Drawbacks include a somewhat limited access to shower houses, and sources to fill your FW tank. Access the campground map to select a site which you feel is conveniently located near the showers. Water stands in each CG section do not offer a threaded spigot. FW with a threaded spigot is available at an approved potable water service next to the dump station. These are located near the entrance to the park.

Cross Creek is nice, but if your planning on activities at the zoo and COSI, you might not have the time to take full advantage of the added amenities offered there. As you might expect, these amenities come at a higher cost than the SP campground.
Wil, Tara, Keeko (Jack Russel/Chihuahua mix 9 yr.-old) and Kalee (Wire Hair Terrier/Blue Heeler mix 1 yr. old)
2018 Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2702; 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab 5.7L Hemi w/ 3.92 rear axle

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Cross Creek, very nice place and also the people were very nice also, as said very crowded and close sites, the state park was also crowded but sites spread out more. We were not impressed with the Columbus Zoo when we went hope you like it better then we did. We did like the kangaroo exhibit, it was the highlight of our visit.
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I generally stay at the state parks and the closest for you would be Alum creek state park. It is not a far drive off the 71 and they recently upgraded the park and now have a bunch of full hookup sites, but book early LOL. They have a beach there and a separate camping beach as well and a marina where I also think you can rent out boats.

Almost directly across the street from that is Cross Creek campground and it does have a pool but like a typical private campground is the sites are tight with no separation in between them, and also they are more expensive.

The zoo from there is like a 15 minute drive and is great. As another poster stated, the zoo is connected to Zoombezi Bay water park. Not far from Alum creek is Skyzone trampoline park which the kids might like, also a 10 minute drive from there.

The zoo is north of the city and Cosi is in downtown Cbus so you could hop back on the 71 and take it right into the city.

If you need any other info just let me know. Hope it helps you out and have a good time!

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.goodsamclub.com/travel/campgroundsandrvparks/SearchResults.aspx?city=Columbus&state=OH

I really looked it up because I've never camped near cbus. Travel there frequently but it's always a day trip or hotel.

As far as water parks the zoo has one. Zoombezi?

If campgrounds are full the state fairgrounds has camping. Also the zoo may allow overnight parking.

So much to do otherwise. Wife and kids like shopping around Easton and Polaris.