cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Encore Residency Application for Seasonal?

SparkDr
Explorer
Explorer
Just received a call from our seasonal campground stating that they didn't have my residency app on file and would need to get it taken care of asap. Having never seen one before, I just said email it on over & I'll take care of it. Holy mother of God...this thing is a 6 page document of intrusiveness. Bearing the very formal title of "Equity LifeStyle Property Inc Residency Application", it requires my driver's license, social security number, job and income info, among other things along with a consent for a background screening and credit check. Judging by the requested information, this appears to be the exact same form they use for stick and brick leased properties. Keep in mind, this is all for a seasonal site renewal that we were on last year as well and which I have already paid in full for this year. It looks like the parent company is finally taking an interest in the park as our lease documents were much more extensive and comprehensive as well this year over last. My credit is great and I have no skeletons in the closet as far as my background goes, but geez Louise, this seems to go too far. I almost feel wronged that we are required to submit to this as seasonals, but weekenders, etc are free to be credit criminals and felons without being subjected to the same screening. Am I wrong to think this way or is this standard procedure elsewhere and we're just catching up to the times all at once here? I'd love to hear what others have experienced in their seasonal agreements.
May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut up whenever I get too caught up in my own misconceived brilliance.
11 REPLIES 11

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
In many states, the relationship between an RV park ownership and a customer changes to a landlord/tenant relationship after a certain number of days. The RV owner becomes a tenant with rights similar to a mobile home owner leasing a spot in a mobile home park.

Here is a document from the NY State Attorney General on Manufactured Home Tenants Rights - NY AG Rules

Here is a document from AARP on Tenant Rights - AARP Douc

Here is one from a Texas lawyer - Texas

Here is one from California which defines anyone who stays more than 30 consecutive nights as a 'tenant' and not an 'occupant'. Anyone staying more than nine months is a 'resident'. CA Rules

Here is a document from an Oregon industrial group which advises RV park owners on how to avoid letting people become 'tenants' with greater legal rights Oregon

There are two things which have put RV spot owners/ long term seasonals in the same group as trailer home owners - one is the length of stay provision which changes the relationship from a rental to a 'lease'.

I found that Arizona sets the definition of resident/ tenant at 180 days.

The other is the increasing tendency to finance long term stays. Another is that if the RV park charges a 'security deposit' for seasonal site owners - that moves the relationship into a landlord/tenant rather than a occupant relationship.

---------
I am a Thousand Trails member, and I've seen TT and Encore Parks I've visited this year being more strict about compliance with the national 'rules' in the contracts we all sign for our membership/ zone pass.

I had assumed this was a corporate driven thing because of the consistency of being asked to provide things like proof of insurance on the RV and registration papers with my name on both the TT and the towing pickup at parks in multiple states.

I'm not sure this increased emphasis on the paperwork is actually going to result in any extra effort/ funds to correct some of the long term issues in many of the parks.

I hope so, but I'm not optimistic.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

SparkDr
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I'm learning that these disclosures seem to be the norm rather than the exception. It would be nice to think that we have some sort of "renter's rights", I guess. Unfortunately, the lease documents themselves seem to override those with a laundry list of offenses deemed adequate for immediate banishment. As for utilities, they are included in our lot rent. Maybe it's much ado about nothing. This park has been the red-headed stepchild of a much larger and bettter amenitied sister park down the road for years now. We are where we are solely for the quality and access to the Schroon River that runs along this campground. Truthfully, it might not be the worst thing in the world to see them actually enforce both new and existing rules as written. I'v said all along that I wish they'd charge us more and invest that money back into the property. Hopefully, this "tighter ship" approach is the first step towards that. Thanks to all for the responses thius far.
May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut up whenever I get too caught up in my own misconceived brilliance.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Never heard of that before. My seasonal in upstate NY gives me a receipt for my payment.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
SparkDr wrote:
"Equity LifeStyle Property Inc Residency Application"

Equity LifeStyle is the company which owns Encore, and Thousand Trails along with their manufactured home communities. They own 400+ permanent MH communities and camping properties - with over 170,000 RV/ manufactured home spaces.

Welcome to big-time corporate America.

SparkDr wrote:
Am I wrong to think this way or is this standard procedure elsewhere and we're just catching up to the times all at once here? I'd love to hear what others have experienced in their seasonal agreements.

While the reason mentioned is really dependent upon the state laws where the property is located - you are also seeing a standardization across the company.

The basic issue is what 'rights' you have.

As an overnight RV spot occupant - you have no rights. If the management decides for any reason that you are not wanted - they can tell you to leave - with no refunds. And you have to leave. Period.

However, longer term folks - and a seasonal spot owner would be one in almost any state - have "resident rights". They have to be evicted by a legal process. The information they asked for is essential for that process.

Though you have paid for the spot for the season - have you already paid up front for utilities.

Paying for a spot and/or paying utilities monthly basically is the park giving you credit - and a credit application is not unexpected.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
As a non-felon overnighter Encores are a last "resort". Hope theY make the same effort to fix up their FL properties that used to be nice. JMHO
Happy Trails ๐Ÿ™‚
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We would look for somewhere else. No problems with credit etc, but for an rv site. Would never share that much information. I know what kind of employees many parks have and they are not all ones that could be trusted with my personal information. If you have paid in advance already, credit has no bearing and a credit check would be of no use. A good credit score and a background check does not guarantee a person's character. It may mean they have just never been caught.

wilssm
Explorer
Explorer
My seasonal campground did a background check on my wife and I when we moved there in 2013, good to know what kind of neighbors you have, but I agree overnighters don't have to go through this much scrutiny, glad my campground keeps overnighters in a different part of the campground

wilssm

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately, there are often differences between the legal status of seasonal and short term stays and this can have a bearing on the new form being used. As well, sometimes, the camp/RV park's insurance companies may require them too.
It's a new world and there is little hiding anymore:(.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
You do make a good point that the seasonals are highly scrutinized but the overnighters are only subjected to their ability to pay for their site.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
We fill one out every year at the Encore in Arizona.
Nice to know my neighbors passed a background check
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
WOW - I don't think I would be willing to share such personal info. just for the sake of renting an RV site. I would be looking at alternative destinations.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)