cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fl Keys Screwworm Status ??

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was wondering if any forum members have an update on the screwworm infestation in the Keys. The info on the web that I've found is either dated or is government PR whitewash that doesn't really say much of anything about status and success of the efforts to control the problem.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard
4 REPLIES 4

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
I can't answer how effective the program has been but as of this past Sunday there were signs all along route one in the keys saying mandatory pet inspection check point to check for the worm
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

Luke_Porter
Explorer
Explorer
I live here on Big Pine. I have Key Deer living in the wildlife area across the street.

There are something like 120 folks from the USDA and such here. Over 200 volunteers are out feeding the deer meds. Over 13 million irradiated male screw flies released.

Around 130 deer killed, mostly males. The males gets wounded during rut, allowing the screw worms to get started. The rut is about over and the numbers of deer killed are way down.

Due to egg laying cycles and such it will take 6 months to get rid of it.

What are your concerns?

Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

buckeyebob
Explorer
Explorer
read some articles after seeing yer post,i stay in grassy key 3 months in winter and last year saw a key deer with big sore on hip!thought it was an arrow wound or gunshot,bet it was screw worm.article i read said officials were checking people with pets headed north

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure what you want to know, but they mainly are in the Key deer population even though a few domestic dogs and cats have had the problem.
They have a animal check point when you leave the Keys and want an one with an animal to stop and have it checked.
The latest report is that very few does have been infected and it is just bucks and that is because the wounds they get in the rut fights. (the flies lay the eggs in those wounds and the eggs hatch into the screw worms)

It used to be against the law to feed the little deer, but now they are issuing some of the residents medicine that they mix with food and are hand feeding them.

As of now they estimate that 10 percent of the herd has been killed, but they think they are winning the war using sterile male flies to breed with the females, etc

jack L
Jack & Nanci