cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fort Clinch area fishing and access to Cumberland Island

plasticmaster
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be staying at Fort Clinch State Park in early April and will be bringing my boat. Is the fishing good in this area that time of year? What species should I target?

Also, I would like to visit Cumberland Island, which is just up the Intracoastal from Fort Clinch. I would like to get there in my own boat. Is it accessible to private boats? Is there a dock there where I can leave my boat while I visit the island? Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2

cyntdon2010
Explorer
Explorer
Public boat ramp about a mile from the gate, last time were their. riverside campers anchored near the campground. ENJOY
2010 lacrosse T.T 318 bhs 34 ft,blue ox-tow bar,2005 FORD F-150 larait super crew,Firestone ready rite-air bags lift kit

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
There is no boat launch at the park, but there are several marinas in the area. The park site has some info on fishing: Fort Clinch Fishing

The sites on either campground at the park are fairly small, so you may need to park your boat trailer elsewhere. The beach loop has some space available over by the tent camping area, but I don't know about the river loop. Also be aware that there are strong currents and a busy boat channel where the St Mary's River enters the ocean.

You may find this information helpful about accessing Cumberland Island by private boat:
Can a private boat dock at Plum Orchard on Cumberland Island?
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate