cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grand Tetons-Colter Bay Village camp site July 3rd?

DAVES04RV
Explorer
Explorer
Will be camping in Grand Tetons with 25' travel trailer, arriving Friday July 3rd staying thru 7th before heading to Rocky Mts. National Park. If I arrive at Colter Bay Village campground by 9am from Yellowstone, will I be able to get a campsite since approaching July 4th weekend crowd. What's experience of those who have been there around July 4th.
David "enjoying retirement"
2006 Ford F250 V-10
2004 Airstream 25' Classic
7 REPLIES 7

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Please note there is Colter Bay Campgrounds and there is Colter Bay Village RV Park that has 112 RV sites with full hookups. Colter Bay Village RV Park takes reservations, 800-628-9988.

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
Oh no, don't skip Grand Teton. It would be a shame. I believe the scenery is much more grand than Yellowstone, but nowhere near the features. However, you can take a boat ride on Jackson Lake and get right up next to Mount Moran at its base and look straight up about 6,000 feet. Even take a lunch or dinner cruise and eat in the shadow, kinda, of Mount Moran. Then, go to Jenny Lake, take the tour boat and take in Hidden Falls and Inspiration Point. Then on over to Moose Junction to the Craig Thomas Visitor Center, then to the Gros Ventre area and Slide Lake. Back around through Antelope Flats and hundreds of Bison/Buffalo for us hicks, and driving around you might see some Grizzly Bears, Moose, Elk, Deer, Antelope and all kinds of birds, including Bald Eagles. Then one night, get in your car and go into Jackson and over towards Teton Village and take in the Bar J Wranglers. Very nice dinner and a two or so hour show of great western music, think Sons of the Pioneers, Roy Rogers, etc. and they feed about 600 people in 20 minutes prior to the show. Jackson is about 45 minutes from Colter Bay and you get another chance to see wildlife as well as driving along the Teton range and seeing those majestic mountains. Grand Teton is not a park to miss. Or if you don't want to drive into Jackson, go to Leeks Marina and have a great pizza with beer out on their deck overlooking Jackson Lake. We have spent the last 10 -15 anniversaries on that same deck and it never gets old, even though I am.

But then, I am biased, I have been going there for over 50 years and go back about three weeks each year to fish and sightsee.
John A. Lichty

DAVES04RV
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks especially Jalichty and Veebyes for your replies. That's the information I needed for planning a stay at the Colter Bay Village non-reserve campground. I was concerned that I might have to leave earlier from Grizzly RV in West Yellowstone to get a spot at Colter Bay or change my plans and not go to Tetons before going home.
David "enjoying retirement"
2006 Ford F250 V-10
2004 Airstream 25' Classic

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
We did July 4th weekend in the Tetons 2 years ago. Stayed at Gros Ventre CG.

The Friday was far from full. July 4th was full. The CG emptied out the next day.

Just another ooption if Colter Bay does not pan out.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can reserve spots at the Colter Bay RV Park, which is privately run. Colter Bay CG is a NPS CG; we haven't checked to see if it takes reservations, but evidently it doesn't. Whether the RV park has any openings that week remains for the OP to find out, if that's where he wants to stay.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
Well, you can't get reservations at the Colter Bay campground as it's first come, first served. If you were thinking about the RV park, then you will need reservations. For the past 50 years or so that we have been going to Colter Bay, the RV park sign always says full. We live about three hours from Colter Bay and usually just leave home around 6:00-6:30 and arrive at the campground around 9:00 or so and usually have no trouble getting a spot. Checkout time is 11:00 and people who have to be somewhere else usually leave pretty early. I don't think you will have any problem getting a site if you arrive around 9:00 on the 3rd of July. We usually don't go up until after the fourth since we like to stay here in town for, probably, the best personal fireworks show in the country. We have one little part sponsored by the city and the rest of the city is lit up for about four hours with fireworks all over the city. You shouldn't have any trouble getting a space in a very nice campground in one of the prettiest spots in the US. As you can tell, I really like Grand Teton and Jackson Lake.
John A. Lichty

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
4th of July is sort of the unofficial beginning of the peak tourist season. I strongly suggest reservations.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375