cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Have you stayed at John Pennekamp SP Site 15

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Question for anyone who has stayed at Site 15 at John Pennekamp State Park, Marathon, Florida and/or anyone who is currently there:

How tight is the site? It is listed at 48' x 16', but I noticed this disclaimer:

"This site is narrower and may not accommodate some slide-outs and awnings. Please call the park to make sure your rig fits. Both 30 and 50 Amp electrical hookups are available at this site."

We know that ReserveAmerica sometimes "fudges" on site limitation).

If you've stayed on this site, let me know your experience.

If you're at Pennekamp now (or in the next couple weeks) and can lay eyes on the site, please let me know what's there and if they can get out at least one side slide.

Thanks in advance.

jHalf
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!
28 REPLIES 28

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Very cool. Thank you for posting an update.
It's his Super Power!

Southedistoman
Explorer
Explorer
Just an update in case someone comes across this in the future. I just returned from our trip to Pennekamp. I was able to put our 38' travel trailer with slides on opposing sides on site 15 with no problems. We could even fully extend our awning and put a crew cab pickup on the site and keep everything on our site and off the pavement. A little tight but it all fit. Hope this helps someone down the road.
Beautiful state park by the way.

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
To reassure you, there is currently a good size 5th wheel on the site. They have two slide outs out on one side and one slide out and the awning extended on the other side.
The picnic tables are wood and if they are in the way, can be moved easily by one person. :B
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

Southedistoman
Explorer
Explorer
MichF,
Indeed, thank you for taking the time to take and post the pictures. With my work schedule I still haven't been able to call the office, but I think I can manage on that site. I'm going to try it and see how it goes. Thanks again.

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
You're welcome, but honestly you wouldn't have had any problem, as the picture might not show it, but there is plenty of room on both side.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Nice photos. Thanks so much, Mich F, for taking the time to take and post the pictures for us.

It looks like with the tree in the back plus the picnic table the site would be do-able, but a tight squeeze. I've offered our reservation to someone else who has a more suitably-sized camper.

Again, I appreciate you helping us out on this.

-jHalf
It's his Super Power!

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
Before someone corrects me abut the rocks between the sites, I have to say that most of the rocks have been removed. There is one between sites 28 and 29, as well as a number of them in front of the main bathroom, perhaps there are others.

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
">

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
There is a very small tent on the site right now. No trees on either side for most of the length of the site. I have a photobucket account and normally load photos from my phone to the laptop and then to a site. How do I link from the phone to the site without going through the laptop ?

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Mich. Good to know the rocks are no longer an issue. If you have a (free) photobucket account, you can upload your photo to there and then use the Advance Post Form to either post it directly or make a clickie to it.
It's his Super Power!

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
The rocks are gone. That site has plenty of room for a slide out. I took a picture but have no ides how to link it from my phone.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
It's a fairly wide road (two way traffic makes it fine), but there is sort of a curve near that site. Hopefully staff there won't be allowing anyone to park partially on the pavement, as sometimes happens in some state parks according to other posts.
It's his Super Power!

Southedistoman
Explorer
Explorer
Gm&jm, I hear you on tough to get a site there. We've been trying for 2 years to get a site anywhere in the Keys at a time when we could go, finally got this site for early June. I called the office this morning, but didn't get to talk with anyone. I'll try again later. Im still probably going to try it. If the road is wide enough I should have no problem getting the TT in there. That's one of the things I want to ask. Thanks,
Scott

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
FULLTIMEWANABE wrote:
Cant' comment on a specific site but be careful of the huge rocks (if still there!) that marked out the sites when we were there a few years back. Hubby turned too quick and because they are low when in the MH, couldn't see them forgot about it being there and we got a nice scrape along the basement doors. Just heads up, check very carefully when leaving, as after several days just didn't think about it pulling out, although upon arrival were conscious of it.

We enjoyed our just under a week there. If you are going to snorkel/swim from the shore there make sure you wear good water shoes, tore our feet up when first went in without them. Just saying.

Those rocks were there last time we visited in 2012 -ugh!

Thanks for the heads up about the water shoes. We were planning to try snorkeling there.
It's his Super Power!