cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Headed to Texas in February & March

tedp
Explorer
Explorer
Recently retired and are looking to go somewhere in eastern to central Texas in February & March to escape winter. Looking for suggestions for parks that are smaller, offer WiFi, close to smaller towns to explore, fishing & possible boat rentals. How far south do you have to drive to avoid the snow?
13 REPLIES 13

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
fanrgs wrote:
We lived in SE Texas for two years and wouldn't even consider spending winter there again. When it was not cold and windy, it was cloudy and, more often than not, rainy. That was, however, 50 years ago!

However, we towed our trailer to south-central Texas and had sunny days, a little wind, but very little rain from late January to early March a few years ago. We primarily stayed in state parks in an area from Junction to Rockport and south to Uvalde and North Padre Island. Most of that time was on or very near the coast and all of it was south of I-10.

In 2017, we spent January and February in the Las Cruces, NM, and Big Bend area of Texas. Again south of I-10, we had very good weather, no rain, lots of sun, and daytime temps in the high 50s to about 75. That's perfect winter weather in my book!

I would agree. SE Texas/Houston area gets a lot of rain. Farther west you go will be dryer.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

charming
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at the Vineyards on the other side of Fredericksburg as the KOA. We really enjoyed the location and the fenced dog run.
Looking forward to new adventures and new friends.

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
We lived in SE Texas for two years and wouldn't even consider spending winter there again. When it was not cold and windy, it was cloudy and, more often than not, rainy. That was, however, 50 years ago!

However, we towed our trailer to south-central Texas and had sunny days, a little wind, but very little rain from late January to early March a few years ago. We primarily stayed in state parks in an area from Junction to Rockport and south to Uvalde and North Padre Island. Most of that time was on or very near the coast and all of it was south of I-10.

In 2017, we spent January and February in the Las Cruces, NM, and Big Bend area of Texas. Again south of I-10, we had very good weather, no rain, lots of sun, and daytime temps in the high 50s to about 75. That's perfect winter weather in my book!
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

tedp
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
Yeah we're all hunkered down here in SE Texas. It's down to a brutal 51 degrees here. Cold up there too??

Yea, a little colder than 51 up here!:R

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
texasjayco wrote:
The KOA just east of Fredericksburg, Tx is very nice. It's centrally located (right in the middle of the hill country) to a lot of the points of interest. And only an hour to Austin & San Antonio.

8.6 on RV Park Reviews!!
HERE

Safe travels!!

Mark

Our "go to" place when staying in Fredericksburg. Some of the close by sites are the numerous wineries along US290, as well as Luckenbach, TX very nearby.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah we're all hunkered down here in SE Texas. It's down to a brutal 51 degrees here. Cold up there too??
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

tedp
Explorer
Explorer
Still in the cold of Wisconsin!

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ted you still with us, or you already on the road to Texas? ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

texasjayco
Explorer
Explorer
The KOA just east of Fredericksburg, Tx is very nice. It's centrally located (right in the middle of the hill country) to a lot of the points of interest. And only an hour to Austin & San Antonio.

8.6 on RV Park Reviews!!
HERE

Safe travels!!

Mark
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS
2022 Ford F-450 Limited Diesel Dually

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
I live just outside of Houston which is in southeast Texas and about 40 miles from the Gulf of Mexico. Born and raised here. If you want really mild weather don't stray too far north of I-10. If you haven't been here before I would just hop from one state park to another. The terrain south of I-10 can be boring...flat and many areas with few trees..a coastal plain. I think I would concentrate on a triangle of San Antonio, Corpus Christi, and Houston. Lots of Texas Revolution history in that area. The further south you go towards McAllen the more of the big "snowbird" RV parks you see. Deep deep east Texas is hilly and very wooded. Not what most peoples perception of Texas would be. East Texas will be a bit cooler.
If you want the assumed typical Texas geography I would focus on the "Hill Country" area. North of San Antonio, Kerrville, Fredericksburg, Bandera, etc. Day trips into San Antonio would be awesome. A cold day in central Texas will likely remind you of Spring in Wiscansin.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Welcome to East Texas! February and March can have some delightful weather, but there is also the chance of a sudden "Norther" which can drop the temperature by 30 degrees in just a few hours. Still I emphasize that we can have days of shirtsleeve weather in February and even more such days in March.

If you had the choice, of course, April would be the very best time in East Texas with blooming wildflowers, azaleas, and daffodils.

In February and March we just have to take the days as they come and be prepared for changes in the weather. We can have freezing weather on some nights. We have snow about once every three or four years. More likely in January, but it could come in February. It is certainly not an annual event.

Now for small towns and fishing I will start with Jefferson, Texas, an old riverport that was left high and dry with the opening up of the Red River below Caddo Lake. That means there are many old home and business structures have been preserved as they were just before and after the Civil War. Nearby is Lake o' the Pines which has several really nice campgrounds operated by the Corps of Engineers (COE). There is a unique state park not far away, Caddo Lake State Park which has good campsites and boat docks and rentals. Not far north there is Lake Wright Patman with COE and state park campgrounds.

Here is the problem,
offer WiFi,
. Most of our state parks do have WIFI but it is not the fastest, especially when many people are online at the same time. I do not think COE parks have WIFI at all. It is a shame, but the parks that meet all your other desires are the ones least likely to have really good WIFI.

But let me go on. Tyler State Park is one of our favorites and is near many small towns as well as the nearest thing we have to a city in East Texas--and a fine city at that, Tyler. There are many commercial campgrounds around Tyler that would have WIFI, but none as desirable as Tyler State Park.

There is Bob Sandlin State Park near Mount Pleasant and Pittsburg, both the kind of small towns you might like. There are commercial campgrounds in Mount Pleasant and Texarkana that would have WIFI.

A bit further south is Lake Sam Rayburn. I am not as familiar with this area as I am with the towns and parks I have mentioned above, but I know by reports that there are good campgrounds around Sam Rayburn which is near the towns of Nacogdoches and Lufkin.

Maybe this is enough for one post, but I can give you very specific information about almost any question about East Texas and especially Northeast Texas. You can send me a PM and I will be delighted to respond.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Although fairly rare, it sometimes does snow as far south as the coast. But you will likely see some snow, sleet, or freezing rain most any year in the northern two thirds of the state or down into the hill country west of Austin/San Antonio. We live 30 miles north of Dallas and temps dipped as low as 8 degrees last year although we had very little freezing precipitation. Thatโ€™s why most snowbirders go to the lower valley, or at least the lower coast. Good news is it rarely last longer than 2-3 days before warming back to 60โ€™s or higher. Until the next front a few days later repeats the cold/mild cycle. We may be bundled in our warmest on Monday and playing golf in shirt sleeves on Wednesday.

Nothing compared to a Wisconsin winter, but donโ€™t assume Texas has mild winters.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Since most of the good places fill up about a year ahead I think you will have to make lots of calls and take what you can get. I made most of my reservations last March. You will find in northern Texas it can be very cold but we have never experienced snow - for that reason we go all the way south and then work our was back north
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks