cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Highway 199 California to Oregon

cneuwiller
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to be traveling in a 26-ft Class C with a toad in early October and need a recommended route from the south coast of Oregon over to Highway 5, going south. Highway 199 from Crescent City CA to Grants Pass would be the most direct, but need to know how RV-friendly it is for a driver who doesn't like twists and especially drop-offs. Thanks. Charly
9 REPLIES 9

frmAloha
Explorer
Explorer
It's not 199 that might be a problem, it's the road up to the caves.
Oregon Native
Retired w/
2000 31' SurfSide
Class A

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think that you'd have any problems with your rig.I ahve pulled a 27' TT west on it and a 35' TT and Excursion westbound with no problems. I'm not sure about your going up to the caves with your rig,but I have ridden it in the crew van when I worked there and it's only 20 miles.
When I was working there we had a guy who had worked on the road and lodge with the CCC and he said that a corkscrew rolled thru a puddle of ink and onto the map and that's how the road was built.Worked there in the summers in the early 60's while going to L&C College in Portland.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

shadowpup
Explorer
Explorer
I have driven it in a 38' DP towing a 20' car hauler. There are some twist & turns, but not a problem. The 18 wheelers use it all the time. I live about 2 miles from 199 and see LOTS of RVs.
Me and my Siberian Huskie (cat in a dog suit)
30' Safari Ivory class C

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I've pulled a 28' 5'er and a 31'TT over that road. Ridden countless times on my MC's. It's a really pretty drive and you should have know probs in a 26' C. Heck my truck is 22' long by its self.

cneuwiller
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Fred. It sounds like you have more regard for one who might be a little leery of mountain roads. I don't think I need to hear from anyone who can't appreciate driving an RV. :)- I can handle many more roads in a car than I can in the RV, especially towing.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
cneuwiller wrote:
......... but need to know how RV-friendly it is for a driver who doesn't like twists and especially drop-offs. Thanks. Charly

Well, there are twists and drop-offs for a short bit. So does that mean it's a definite no? If it's a definite no, then go north and take 42, or go south and take 20.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
amandasgramma wrote:
Oh heavens....TAKE IT! And check out the Oregon Caves!!!!! Whoops -- on edit....not sure about that late in the season....Oregon Caves may not be open. ๐Ÿ™‚ I've driven it in a car.....nothing that alarmed me.

I think that the Oregon Caves is 46 miles east of Cave Junction, down a dead end road. And I am sure that road twists and turns with plenty of areas where 35 MPH is the limit because of the curves in the roadway.

I would not recommend the caves to anyone hesitant about driving in the mountains.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
Oh heavens....TAKE IT! And check out the Oregon Caves!!!!! Whoops -- on edit....not sure about that late in the season....Oregon Caves may not be open. ๐Ÿ™‚ I've driven it in a car.....nothing that alarmed me.
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

I took that road many times in a car, and twice in a motorhome. I used to live 7 miles outside Grants Pass overlooking highway 199 at the Applegate River crossing. There is one tunnel, it is large enough for big rigs to go through it, and while it will twist and turn the road is nice.

I don't recall drop offs.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com