Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Infield Camping at Indianapolis Motor Speedway

bgradert
Explorer
Explorer
All-

I spent last weekend camping in the infield at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. We had a great time and have some pretty cool experiences that I would like to share with you.

First off, IMS president Doug Boles camped in the infield as well. He was parked 3 spots down from me and although he was very busy hosting the Grand Prix event, he still made time to hang with the fans and even drank a beer with us!

I arrived on Thursday morning and camped in the grass Woods lot. Indianapolis had received about 8 inches of rain the week or so prior however to my surprise the grass area was not muddy. After getting everything situated, IMS staff came by later in the day and asked us to meet them at the Pogada for a special behind the scenes tour of victory circle. Doug Boles and his son Carter led the tour and he spent an hour with us talking and showing us around victory lane. He even allowed us to walk on the track which he then gathered everyone up for a group photo.

On Friday, there was ton of track activity so there was cars running all day. They allowed free access into the garage area for the entire day. That evening, IMS staff came around and told us Doug was bringing some IndyCar drivers to his camper to do a Q&A session. I was surprised to see Al Unser JR, Johnny Rutherford, Tony Kanaan and a few others show up. They spent about an hour talking to the infield campers. It was very cool! At 8:30 that evening, IMS set up a huge screen and showed a kids movie and they offered free yogurt and popcorn. My kids loved it!

On Saturday, I was able to watch the IndyCar race from the comfort of my RV. With 5 laps to go in the race, we headed to victory circle and was able to see the awards presentation. My son's favourite driver, Ryan Hunter-Rey got third so my son was able to get his autograph! It was pretty awesome to be a part of the celebration as I had never stuck around after a race before as usually I am trying to beat the traffic

We made our way back to the camper and later that evening Doug Boles came back to his camper as well. He chit chatted for about an hour and even drank a cold beer with us!

There were approximately 50-75 campers parked in the infield. They kept it small as it was the first time ever other than glamping that camping was allowed in the Speedway during a race weekend. Given the positive feedback from campers, I think this will be a new tradition for years to come.

I paid $175.00 and camped for 3 nights. I did not have any hook-ups. We had a great time and will be back next year. If you ever wanted to camp inside the track at IMS I would highly recommend it!
2015 F150 EcoBoost
2015 Jayco 28DSBH
Mooresville, Indiana
3 REPLIES 3

bgradert
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
I have only done this once which was at Talladega Raceway in ALA a few years back. I would never do it again... It was three days and nights of 24/7 party going... Party folks even jumped on to the roof of our trailer from another trailer... I did get to meet some drivers and that part was great.

The party goer's just ruined everything for me...

Too many tent camping by the creek trips I guess... I was so out of my habitat there...

There was none of that this year but then again it was the very first time they allowed camping inside the track.
2015 F150 EcoBoost
2015 Jayco 28DSBH
Mooresville, Indiana

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have only done this once which was at Talladega Raceway in ALA a few years back. I would never do it again... It was three days and nights of 24/7 party going... Party folks even jumped on to the roof of our trailer from another trailer... I did get to meet some drivers and that part was great.

The party goer's just ruined everything for me...

Too many tent camping by the creek trips I guess... I was so out of my habitat there...
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you had a good time! And thanks for the update. I kept seeing snippits on the news where they were interviewing different campers there for the event. I'm not a race fan, but really glad you had a fantastic time! (I like the horse races).