Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Information on Quartzite

horton333
Explorer
Explorer
Hi:

I've seen several people posting about Quartzite. I'm planning next fall now and I am thinking of maybe staying there for a month or even 2.

Is there an online resource that would give me a better of idea of exactly what is there? Given the popularity I'm sure it is there but Google is broken today so figure I'd ask ๐Ÿ˜‰ Seriously though: any links appreciated, and I don't really know enough to ask specific questions at this point.

John

Ford Explorer or Chrysler 300C to tow with.
Tracer Air 238 to be towed.
Triumph Thunderbird Sport - with the toy-hauler gone it's at home.
Retired very early and loving it.
15 REPLIES 15

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are all sorts of reasons to Quartzite. Money was mentioned, people that have problems with park atmosphere situations such as pets, no camp fires, no charcoal grills etc. They can fly their drones, quad, rock hound etc. That is why chocolate and vanilla ice cream has been around for years!

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
RE_Todd wrote:
Many go for the extra large swap meet disguised as the RV show. I need to head there for my flat tow setup and solar addition!!

We've stopped in to do just that. We didn't stay out in the middle of nowhere for weeks or months however! A night or two was plenty!
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

TragedyTrousers
Explorer
Explorer
pjsky wrote:
Before I would go to Quartsite, I would stay home and shovel snow. That would be more fun.
LOL Only point I can see is its a place for campers to socialize. I prefer the opposite.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
horton333 wrote:
Funny in that my wrong spelling still returned 3 pages of results!
Yeah..:)
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

horton333
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully this gets through, my posts have been bouncing since I started the thread ๐Ÿ˜ž

2oldman Thanks for noting the spelling, that search has some good links like the brochure. Funny in that my wrong spelling still returned 3 pages of results!

Vermilye I'll check out the blog.

I see in the tread a lot about 'why', and I can only speak for myself. I've been to The Grand Canyon and Las Vegas a couple of times, in planes, rental car and hotels, and that's about it for that whole large area. I live a long ways away, to me that area is very different and attractive. I can easily see spending a fair bit of time just absorbing something other people may take for granted. The number of people it attracts I figure indicates it must have something more than surrounding spots. I would be traveling around some too, and it is quasi central to several places I'm interested in.

Ford Explorer or Chrysler 300C to tow with.
Tracer Air 238 to be towed.
Triumph Thunderbird Sport - with the toy-hauler gone it's at home.
Retired very early and loving it.

pjsky
Explorer
Explorer
Before I would go to Quartsite, I would stay home and shovel snow. That would be more fun.
No person is completely worthless ..... one can always serve as a bad example.

PAUL AND JAN

RE_Todd
Explorer
Explorer
Many go for the extra large swap meet disguised as the RV show. I need to head there for my flat tow setup and solar addition!!
TinBenders
2002 Jeep Wrangler
39.5's, Atlas, D60's.

2014 Thor Chateau 35SK.
BTW, It's a Super C!!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
The reason many go there is to connect with friends or specialty groups such as their RV manufacturer, ham radio operators, there's a group of RVers and every one has disabilities and they hash out problems and RVing help, perhaps doing minor repairs for others, there are single women groups that get together and just any interest group you can think of will be there.

We've attended Newmar's rally and they sent technicians there for servicing and talks.

We belong to Escapees and there is a big 'Boomer' rally with 100-200 attendees for a 2-week period. Most are full-timers who come year after year just for this rally and see each other inbetween times as they travel throughout the year. They are friends. Some don't even go into town for shopping anymore - been there, done that.

They have activities at the campsite - morning pancake breakfasts, potlucks, chili cook-offs, happy hours, a big campfire with music and singing, someone will show a movie on a big screen outside, women do their thing with crafts and talk as will the men. The men go on a donut run for breakfast and also organize a garbage run collecting with pickups and taking to the landfill. There's a morning hike daily, 4-wheeling trips, ATVing, an outing to the Desert Bar, a day of geocaching, canoeing/kayaking on the river, group talks on many subjects, pizza in a homemade brick oven, etc., etc. All this is done by posting a suggestion on a white board and it just happens.

Quartzsite is picked as the gathering place because there aren't many large, easily accessible places where groups can meet up. It's a 'happening' year after year. What great fun!!!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Dave_and_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed one night in the Q going out to the Rose Parade.Stay another in a CG there on the way home.I just don't see the why either.Maybe a few days looking at the campers at the show,but not months at a time in the desert. We enjoy site seeing a lot,but not too many sites to see there,other than people watching.
2011 Ram 3500 Dually Mega Cab
2016 Chaparral 370FL

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
mileshuff wrote:
Always wondered why many RV'ers spend extended periods out in the middle of nowhere.
$ - the most common reason there is.

I suppose if you need a home and your RV is it you gotta do whatever it takes. But the rigs I see at these places lead me to believe many aren't hurting for money!

I'd like to believe there is BLM land etc. thats free or other areas that are cheap not far from things to see and do.

That said, I did stay in Wellton, AZ very cheap while traveling. Nothing there to do but the people were a lot of fun. Met some great RV'ers who were there for several months.

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Vermilyye, you cost me a lot of time looking at all your trips postings. Shame on you for posting such nice memories and photos. I enjoyed every minute of it. Thank you,

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
mileshuff wrote:
Always wondered why many RV'ers spend extended periods out in the middle of nowhere.
$ - the most common reason there is.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Always wondered why many RV'ers spend extended periods out in the middle of nowhere. Not alot to do in many of these places except perhaps ATV'ing, horse riding, hiking etc. but most I see there aren't doing such.

During the rock/swap meet weeks, Quartzsite can be fun for a short stay but whats there to do for extended periods?

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
For what it is worth, I have a journal that includes 3 months at Quartzsite (and Imperial Dam, another LTVA BLM site) during 2015-16, and am currently doing the same this winter.