cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Koreshan re-opening (SW Florida)

Stormy_Eyes
Explorer
Explorer
If you wish to head to Florida this winter, here is an opportunity. Koreshan State Historical site's campground will re-open Dec 15. Reservations may now be made on Reserve America. The park staff told me that water and electrical were upgrade...now 50 amp according to the person I spoke with on the phone (that info did not seem to be on Reservae America today).
10 REPLIES 10

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
Just booked site # 50 for March.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

maznchle
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the post! I am visiting friends in the area and was going to book another campground but Koreshan is in the area of our friends so I got two days in late January which I was surprised to get for less money. Stayed there before and its in a nice area for a lot of things to do.Being a senior florida resident has its advantages for low cost camping in its state parks..paul

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
I was just down at the beach for dinner a week ago at a beach front restaraunt. Didn't see any dead fish on the beach or smell anything bad.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
Equalizer hitch

Stormy_Eyes
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the scouting report, Russ. It sounds like you saw enough to improvements to be willing to book a stay. We plan to stay at Koreshan for 10 days in January after a week at WP Franklin COE. We are looking forward to visiting your area.

I saw reports of an algae bloom, fish kill and associated smell in Estero. Do you know if that is improving?

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
Ok all, as I stated in an earlier post, I just got back from doing my drive thru of Koreshan SP. Let me start by saying, I have lived 5 minutes from the park for the last 12 yrs. I have a 30 ft TT with a slideout on both sides but have never camped there. The reason being that although many sites were deep enough the width of many of the sites was compromised my overgrown brush making sites somewhat narrower. With that said, my drive thru today revealed both new water and electric installed. The sites have also been trimmed of the overgrown brush making the sites wider. Right now the only problem I could see, was that leveling may be an issue until the sites get a little use. The sites looked unlevel due to machinery and equipment being used to install the water and electric and probably to cut back the underbrush. While I was driving thru, there was one site occupied by a campground host and another where the campers were just setting up. Hopefully, someone who is actually staying there can comment later. I will be making a reservation for later in 2017, it looks like I'll be able to take advantage of the close proximity of the CG. Hope this helps to answer any questions you all may have. Safe travels....Russ
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
Equalizer hitch

Stormy_Eyes
Explorer
Explorer
Bears Den wrote:
I called Koreshan today and spoke to a lady who did confirm opening Dec.15th. She stated electric and water improvements were made. She also stated vegetation was cut back so as not to infringe on the actual dimensions of the campsite. I asked about driving thru to check it out but she stated the roads are still closed and driving thru would not be permitted until the CG is open.
How nice to have a local willing and able to take a look. I look forward to hearing your impressions once the roads are open.

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
I called Koreshan today and spoke to a lady who did confirm opening Dec.15th. She stated electric and water improvements were made. She also stated vegetation was cut back so as not to infringe on the actual dimensions of the campsite. I asked about driving thru to check it out but she stated the roads are still closed and driving thru would not be permitted until the CG is open.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
Equalizer hitch

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
I live about 5 minutes from Koreshan. I'll have to take a ride over there and check it out. One of the things I had a problem with was that the sites seemed to be overgrown, taking way from the actual site size. If they have improved on that I'll have to make a reservation, I'll give a report after I go check it out.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
Equalizer hitch

Stormy_Eyes
Explorer
Explorer
dockmasterdave wrote:
Thanks for the heads up.
I figured it might not be totally booked for the winter yet.
Got a weekend in January.

Glad you were able to snag a weekend. Have fun.

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the heads up.
I figured it might not be totally booked for the winter yet.
Got a weekend in January.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo