cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wheels down in San Antonio, to?

Sam_and_Derba
Explorer
Explorer
We're going somewhere for 9 days over the holidays. Just not sure where. If you've had a good experience east or west of SA, we'd appreciate hearing about it. North is just too cold for Texans this time of year. So, you like the idea of SA towards Florida? or SA towards New Mexico/Arizona? Do you have recommended stops along the way? Tyia.
8 REPLIES 8

Sam_and_Derba
Explorer
Explorer
DougE wrote:
What makes a nice trip circuit is Carlbad Caverns, McDonald Observatory, Fort Davis, Marfa, Presidio, Big Bend NP, Judge Roy Bean, Seminole Canyon, Lake Amistad.

That sounds like a good trip!

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
What makes a nice trip circuit is Carlbad Caverns, McDonald Observatory, Fort Davis, Marfa, Presidio, Big Bend NP, Judge Roy Bean, Seminole Canyon, Lake Amistad.
Currently Between RVs

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the cold spell dropped Big Bend NP into the upper 30s, but it will be in the 70s by Wednesday.

Personally - I drive US-90 between San Antonio and Van Horn. I avoid I-10. A much better drive, and warmer.

We were campground hosts at Davis Mountains SP two years ago. The park was fully booked for all RV sites/ electrical sites between 12/26 and 1/2. I expect the same thing for any Texas RV park/ state park south of I-10.

The week of Thanksgiving and the week after Christmas are prime camping times in Texas for families.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Carlsbad Caverns?
Then southern AZ?
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

Sam_and_Derba
Explorer
Explorer
Isaac-1 wrote:
Why not stay in your own backyard, maybe Fredericksburg for Christmas,...

Because we just got a brand spanking new ERA 70C, and want to explore stuff farther away! But, yes, that would be fun and easy. I'll keep it on the short list.

Sam_and_Derba
Explorer
Explorer
Good tips, agesilaus. We love Big Bend area, it's just so dang ccccold. We hike around and explore better when the temp is upwards of 55. Two days driving is doable for us, with a stop maybe in the big easy, or state parks along the way. hmmm. Tucson is an idea to consider...

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
Why not stay in your own backyard, maybe Fredericksburg for Christmas,...

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
For us San Antonio to north Florida is a two day drive. So you'd burn up at least 4 days of your time off driving back and forth, more if you head down to south Florida. Have you been to Big Bend, I understand it is quite popular in the fall/winter. Tucson looks about 10 degrees warmer than what you are scheduled for.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper