cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Skywalk

Gooding__R
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone visited the Skywalk at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon? If so where did you stay and how far did you have to drive for the RV park? We plan on making this trip this Spring.
23 REPLIES 23

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Here's another description of Grand Canyon 'West'. Note that the Skywalk is over a side canyon, not the Colorado River canyon. We rafted the Colorado River for 12 days from Phantom Ranch in the national park to Peach Springs (where the Skywalk is). There is quite a difference between the 'real' canyon and the side canyons. By the time we got to Peach Springs the real canyon scenery was disappearing. The river got wider and the rapids disappeared. It was becoming a lake.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g143028-c71522/Grand-Canyon-National-Park:Arizona:Grand.Canyon.We...
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
rollexx wrote:
hotpepperkid wrote:
rollexx wrote:
Just an FYI, The skywalk at Eagle Point is on the West Rim. Looks like there is one campground in Meadland which looks like the closest. Also many in Kingman

It is Meadview not Meadland and it is the South Rim. Just because the Grand Cyn happens to run mostly North and South at that point it appears to be on the West side.. Kind of like US-101 in the LA area it runs straight East and West but it is a North South road.

You are correct, it is Meadview my mistake. However the OP mentioned the North rim and another poster mentioned the South rim. I was just pointing out that it was niether.
When people refer to the South Rim they are usually referring to the National Park area. I didn't want the OP driving miles out of his way.

Yea I know they call it the West Rim but that is because the Grand Cyn happens to run mostly North/South at that point. I wonder if they call the other side the East Rim. If you follow the cyn back towards the Grand Cyn Village your on the south rim but yet your still on the same side of the cyn.
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
With my fear of heights, Hades will freeze over 3 or 4 times before I even think about doing the Skywalk, no matter the cost.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

rollexx
Explorer
Explorer
hotpepperkid wrote:
rollexx wrote:
Just an FYI, The skywalk at Eagle Point is on the West Rim. Looks like there is one campground in Meadland which looks like the closest. Also many in Kingman

It is Meadview not Meadland and it is the South Rim. Just because the Grand Cyn happens to run mostly North and South at that point it appears to be on the West side.. Kind of like US-101 in the LA area it runs straight East and West but it is a North South road.

You are correct, it is Meadview my mistake. However the OP mentioned the North rim and another poster mentioned the South rim. I was just pointing out that it was niether.
When people refer to the South Rim they are usually referring to the National Park area. I didn't want the OP driving miles out of his way.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
The Skywalk is at the West Rim:

http://www.grandcanyon.net/west-rim
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
rollexx wrote:

2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
OP: You asked about a RV park nearby. Here's one and you will note on the far left side, the next nearest one is approx. 40 miles away. This is a very remote area.

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/arizona/peach-springs
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
My brother and his wife went to the skywalk a few years ago. They were disappointed, expensive and he wasn't allowed to use his own camera. After what they had to say about it it came off of our bucket list.

Dan

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
Just slightly off topic but I would trade the Skywalk for a stay at the Grand Canyon RR campground in Williams and take the train to and from the South Rim. Every once in awhile they crank up the steam locomotive for the trip but usually its the diesel's. The three hour turnaround at the South Rim is just long enough to have lunch and take a ton of photos. Beware of train robbers on the ride back.

Agree! Nice train ride, easier than driving, same scenery either way. We found the three hour turn around just right and had a very fun day. The entertaining train robbers were funny and engaging!
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
I would forget the Grand Canyon RR as well. Also pricey, no real scenery on the way for a very short time at one spot - the busiest - on the South Rim. Oh yes, the "train robbers". Spend your time AT the South Rim.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Just slightly off topic but I would trade the Skywalk for a stay at the Grand Canyon RR campground in Williams and take the train to and from the South Rim. Every once in awhile they crank up the steam locomotive for the trip but usually its the diesel's. The three hour turnaround at the South Rim is just long enough to have lunch and take a ton of photos. Beware of train robbers on the ride back.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
and as I recall, they don't let you take your camera out on the walk as they want to sell their own pix.
bumpy

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
We saw that price also and said there's no way we're paying that. It's like the 4-Corners, also run by the indians - too danged expensive.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

DRKMinWA
Explorer
Explorer
Was there in 2009. Was a business trip with added personal days so we stayed in Vegas. Had a rental car and it was a blast. Last 10 miles of the road was dirt road. Yes it was spendy but not many places like it.

Because it's reservation land the tribe is in charge of everything. And they didn't think guard rails were necessary. What a view though!
Rick & Kathy
2014 Econ 16RB
2013 Nissan Titan Crew Cab