cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mapping Points of Interest

Honeybee8888
Explorer
Explorer
I am really not happy that GS is killing their current Trip Planner with no immediate replacement. In particular, I use it to find points of interest along my trip route. Does anyone have suggestions for good programs that would replace this feature? I have a lot of internet sites (such as Roadside America, et al) which do this, but having all kinds of options in one handy program ALONG THE ROUTE I planned to drive was invaluable, and the only really irreplaceable aspect of the program for my purposes.

Plenty of maps are out there, and plenty of ways to find a campground-- but I don't want to have to look at an entire state map to find fun ideas along the road I'm planning to drive. Suggestions? Thanks!!

Debbie
Me and my Hubby (empty-nesters)
Cassie, our Golden Retriever/Collie lap dog
Samantha, a 2002 28' Jayco Eagle Class C
7 REPLIES 7

Honeybee8888
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for these great ideas. I don't need anything to download-- I am not that sophisticated! What i want is to see POIs within maybe 50 miles of the route I am designing myself. If something cute comes up, I am happy to detour, take back roads, etc. I'm looking forward to exploring the sites mentioned-- I'm already intrigued by RoadTrippers, and will check out RV Wizard and POI Factory also. Thanks!
Me and my Hubby (empty-nesters)
Cassie, our Golden Retriever/Collie lap dog
Samantha, a 2002 28' Jayco Eagle Class C

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
There is an internet site called POI Factory. It is free but you must create an account to use it. The points of interest files are subscriber generated and maintained. They come in various formats that can be transferred into your GPS or trip planner (GPX, KML or CSV, for example), but it is somewhat of a "hands on" process. The iOS world (Apple) has an app called POI viewer which helps to visualize the POI locations. This has become much harder due to the restrictions Google has put their Maps offering, as schlep1967 has pointed out above. There is also a site called GPS Visualizer which is also somewhat "hands on."
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

Jayco23FB
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
RV Trip Wizard is great have used it to plan 3 5,000 mile trips and even a car rental trip in Europe - it has a "points of interest" tab that has lots of choices - Yes it $39 per year but well worth it - the app is linked to RV park Reviews and unlike google you are down load the trip to my RV Garmin

X2 - I signed up after a recommendation on this forum. I think it is better than the GS system.
Jayco G2 23FB
2007 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.0L

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
RoadTrippers.com is my favorite tool for finding points of interest. It's trip planner is OK.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
Thank Google for the change. I used another free mapping program for creating GPS files that used google maps as a base. Seems recently google decided to not allow the use of their mapping without charging them. So all the free mapping programs based on google are having problems remaining free.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
RV Trip Wizard is great have used it to plan 3 5,000 mile trips and even a car rental trip in Europe - it has a "points of interest" tab that has lots of choices - Yes it $39 per year but well worth it - the app is linked to RV park Reviews and unlike google you are down load the trip to my RV Garmin
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Google Maps - zoom in to the route and search attractions (or whatever you are looking for).
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV