cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

National Forest boondocking sites compatible with big rigs

SlowBro
Explorer III
Explorer III
Anyone know of apps, lists, forums, web searches, to find big rig compatible sites at National Forest free boondocking campsites, or is there no such thing and I just need to go there and hunt? Due to our family's size we're about to upgrade to a 34 footer, but we are hoping to do a lot of free boondocking. I know there are cheap big rig sites in all of the NFs, but I'd love to hit the free sites.

I recently stayed in Ocala National Forest in a small AWD crossover SUV, but I could never have done it in a big rig. Got stuck in all that sugar sand and had a big challenge getting unstuck. Couldn't imagine trying to do that in a 34 footer. I've also decades ago stayed in Osceola in a hunt camp. Memory is rough, but seems like a big rig would have been challenged by the approach road.
2010 Coachmen Mirada 34BH, class A, 34.75' long, GVWR 22,000 lbs.
2005 Fleetwood Resort TNT 25QB, hybrid, 27.5' long, GVWR 6,600 lbs.
God bless!
7 REPLIES 7

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
My go to spot is https://freecampsites.net/
The size info isn't listed separately, but if you read through the reviews, you can see what size unit people have had in there. Plus sometimes they comment on accessibility.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

SlowBro
Explorer III
Explorer III
NamMedevac 70 wrote:
I think I recall several websites that give the size of the pad/site for RVs. Try the following 1. Reserve America.com or USA, 2. RV and/or Campground Reviews, 3. Forest Camping.com, 3. Allstays, 4. Compendium.com, 5. RECREATION.GOV, 6. www.nps.gov, 7. campspot.com. Also Google and Bing search of the actual name of the campsite and campground may yield the desired results. Good luck.

Hadn't yet seen most of those sites so thanks so much! To be clear though, I'm seeking dispersed camping sites, which aren't in any official campground, but National Forests allow free dispersed camping. I've done it in a minivan and small SUV but not yet in a big rig.

I'll rummage through these sites as well as utilize the other suggestions.
2010 Coachmen Mirada 34BH, class A, 34.75' long, GVWR 22,000 lbs.
2005 Fleetwood Resort TNT 25QB, hybrid, 27.5' long, GVWR 6,600 lbs.
God bless!

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are considering a MH and pull a toad, use it for scouting campsitesโ€ฆsafest way.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
I some times use Campendium but most of the time I use Google Earth to find a clearing that I can set up camp in.

If you find a list on the internet with GPS cords you can bet that when you get there that spot will be occupied. Always have a Plan B and a Plan C.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
Out west, most of the, the size of the site will be fine, BUT its the road to get to it that might be rough enough to make you holler!!!! Especially after it has rained recently.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Campendium users will often tell you what site rigs will fit in boondocking sites for those listed. There is the option in Campendium to ask a question and it is often responded to.
Also, Freecampsites.net listings have great information and often list this info.

On Google Maps, there is an option to measure an area and that's been very helpful to determine road or back in area sizes.

Measure distance between points
On your computer, open Google Maps. ...
Right-click on your starting point.
Choose Measure distance.
Click anywhere on the map to create a path to measure. ...
Optional: Drag a point or path to move it, or click a point to remove it.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think I recall several websites that give the size of the pad/site for RVs. Try the following 1. Reserve America.com or USA, 2. RV and/or Campground Reviews, 3. Forest Camping.com, 3. Allstays, 4. Compendium.com, 5. RECREATION.GOV, 6. www.nps.gov, 7. campspot.com. Also Google and Bing search of the actual name of the campsite and campground may yield the desired results. Good luck.