cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Prescott Nat Forest in mid-November -- what's it like?

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are planning our next trip -- there is a meteor shower in mid-November, and we are looking for dark skies with cool temperatures but hopefully no snow. (We would go to the Eastern Sierra, but it is too high and usually too cold at that time. DW does not want to revisit Death Valley so soon -- we were there recently.)

I can't find a lot of info on Prescott NF in November, which makes me think it's a no go. How likely is it that we will hit significant snow? And how is the hiking in that area? We are hoping to boondock -- is that feasible at that time of year?

Thanks in advance for your comments!!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
16 REPLIES 16

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Camped out in Kodachrome Basin in the mid '80's in my '77 VW Transporter with sunroof. Right before Memorial Day weekend. Great memories. Lot's of rough clay dirt road.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Update: We ended up in Kodachrome/Bryce -- just got back -- several nights of NINE degree weather -- silent campgrounds, amazing stars, phenomenally beautiful hiking in cold windy weather -- I am working on our blog post, which should be ready in a week or so. Can't wait to go back there!
About our trailer

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Niner, we have thought about the Owens Valley, but we have spent a lot of time there lately. Plus there is some light pollution, although not too much, as there is in the Sedona area. The other problem is that the hiking in the southern Sierra is mostly at around 9000 feet, and the roads to the trailheads are often snowed in. But it is a definite maybe.

We are currently planning to go to the Bryce Canyon area, probably camping in Kodachrome Basin -- very dark skies, not terribly cold. The long range forecast looks good right now, but of course that could change tomorrow.

What about the White mountains out of Big Pine on highway 168? Could be a tough tow, though.

SuzzeeeQ2012
Explorer
Explorer
brrrrrrrr.....I'm cold in Phoenix, I can't imagine what Prescott is like right now lol
1997 HR Endeavor Turbo Diesel

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Niner, we have thought about the Owens Valley, but we have spent a lot of time there lately. Plus there is some light pollution, although not too much, as there is in the Sedona area. The other problem is that the hiking in the southern Sierra is mostly at around 9000 feet, and the roads to the trailheads are often snowed in. But it is a definite maybe.

We are currently planning to go to the Bryce Canyon area, probably camping in Kodachrome Basin -- very dark skies, not terribly cold. The long range forecast looks good right now, but of course that could change tomorrow.
About our trailer

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Double post

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Alabama Hills, Lone Pine, CA? 4000 elev, not too cold.

Salvo
Explorer
Explorer
Sedona would be my choice. You can get away from the crowds when camping on the ridge (about 6500 ft el.) by Schnebly Hill Rd. You probably can't pull the trailer up the hill from Sedona, but you can get there from I15 Schnebly exit. There are no trees to block the shower view.

There's a few trails that can be accessed from up there:
Schnebly Hill Tr, Munds Mountain Tr, Jacks Canyon Tr, Casner Canyon Tr.

Get the Sedona Core Trails map (Beartooth Publishing).

zman-az
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the Coconino National Forest. If you want awesome hikes hit the Sedona area. As long as your elevation is below 5,000 ft it will highly be unlikely that you will see snow although I have seen it cover the ground Oct 6th last year but only lasted a day. As mentioned get the MVUM Map and it will show you where you can boondock on the National Forest. That time of year daytime temps are awesome and it rarely gets below freezing as long as you stay at the lower elevations.

If you want a RV park try Deadhorse State Park in Cottonwood and spend a evening in Oldtown Cottonwood where they have wine tasting and great restaurants (even the Sedona people come to Cottonwood now).

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
We went to Joshua Tree to see the Leonid one November and if you can imagine JT, we could barely find a place to park even on back dirt roads, it was THAT crowded. BUT it was well worth the trip. It was amazing.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Green -- the answer is no - in the meteor watching business, helmets are frowned upon.

Thinking now about the Red Rock Wilderness area of the Coconino National Forest . . . . still shopping.
About our trailer

greenrvgreen
Explorer
Explorer
You'll be packing your helmet, I assume.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great tips -- thanks! We are open to any and all suggestions -- we are hoping for something within 400 miles of Southern Calif, so that is one reason that northwestern Arizona is looking good right now. Utah is great but a little too far.
About our trailer

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
National Weather Service archived day-by-day weather observations for November a year ago in Prescott, AZ:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/climate/index.php?wfo=fgz

NWS has vast stores of data which can help in trip planning.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed