cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Selected Florida Parks re-open monday

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Effective Monday, May 4, DEP will implement phase one to reopen the Florida State Parks. As these parks are re-opening, DEP will be taking measures to ensure the protection of staff and the public.
During this early phase of re-opening, visitors should expect limited hours, capacity and amenities. Phase one includes approximately 80 parks and trails throughout Florida. Portions of these parks and trails have been identified that can be reopened for day use with limited risk to visitors and staff.

The list

The only thing I can deduce from this list is that they excluded any parks with a campground. FL has 177 parks right now.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
17 REPLIES 17

Bluejay_Ford
Explorer
Explorer
GDS-3950BH wrote:
jdc1 wrote:
GDS-3950BH wrote:
jdc1 wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
I wish Florida well. Is this reopening driven by science/medical opinion or politics? Staying closed longer endangers no one. Opening too early....

Agreed. This isn't smart science. It's economy based.

You can bet the farm its economy based, as it should be and has to be.

I think someone who has been without an income for 2 months, and potentially could be without one for a lot longer with no clear direction regarding timeframes and constantly changing criteria, may tell you staying closed longer endangers someone. These clowns all use the word "safe", or the terms "keeping people safe" or "we have to keep people safe"......screw safe, life is not safe and no politician can make it so by edict. The great experiment has been conducted and its impossible to continue it forever if you want anything to be able to reopen.

State Parks are easy to reopen, hell just make an announcemet, money is no object. A private business is a slightly different scenario as we don't have a golden goose.

Of course you guys can stay hunkered down as long as you care to do so, no matter what reopens and when.

Given the choice of having an income or the chance of getting what amounts to a bad cold, and for most nothing, I think I'll go with the income.

Bad cold? LOL. Yeah...tell that to all the dead people and those lying in the hospital on ventilators that all they have is a cold. Part of the reason this virus will linger for a long time is the callousness of the uneducated population. Those that do not take this serious. Here is how this plays out if we all think that this is just a bad cold:
https://news.yahoo.com/mexico-takes-more-drastic-measures-040803455.html

Did not say anything about not taking it serious. You evidently have some type of secure income that closing down an entire economy does not affect. Most folks do not. Yes a bad cold. Not even bad in my and my wifes case as we had it in Feb, and that was confirmed by antibody testing. Does it kill folks? Absolutely, but so does starvation, stress, suicides from losing everything you worked for, and lots of other things. Interesting around here deaths due to normal run of the mill causes such as cancer, heart disease, etc, are all down about 50% officially. What does that tell you?

No one is forcing you to do anything. Hide forever.

Amen brother! Letโ€™s put this overblown issue behind us. We assume risk everyday everyday weโ€™re alive. Iโ€™m more at risk at Walmart than I am at a campground.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
GDS-3950BH wrote:
Does it kill folks? Absolutely, but so does starvation, stress, suicides from losing everything you worked for, and lots of other things. .
Good thing obesity isn't contagious.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III

Exactly, if you don't agree then stay in your home. You are just as safe as you ever were. Don't try to impose your beliefs on others who disagree. Try a little 'Live and let live".

On a second issue, ReserveAmerica seems to be taking campground reservations for Florida parks starting May 14th. At least they were on the one park I checked.
Superbumper

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
jdc1 wrote:
GDS-3950BH wrote:
jdc1 wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
I wish Florida well. Is this reopening driven by science/medical opinion or politics? Staying closed longer endangers no one. Opening too early....

I think someone who has been without an income for 2 months, and potentially could be without one for a lot longer with no clear direction regarding timeframes and constantly changing criteria, may tell you staying closed longer endangers someone. These clowns all use the word "safe", or the terms "keeping people safe" or "we have to keep people safe"......screw safe, life is not safe and no politician can make it so by edict. The great experiment has been conducted and its impossible to continue it forever if you want anything to be able to reopen.

State Parks are easy to reopen, hell just make an announcemet, money is no object. A private business is a slightly different scenario as we don't have a golden goose.

Of course you guys can stay hunkered down as long as you care to do so, no matter what reopens and when.

Given the choice of having an income or the chance of getting what amounts to a bad cold, and for most nothing, I think I'll go with the income.

Bad cold? LOL. Yeah...tell that to all the dead people and those lying in the hospital on ventilators that all they have is a cold. Part of the reason this virus will linger for a long time is the callousness of the uneducated population. Those that do not take this serious. Here is how this plays out if we all think that this is just a bad cold:

Did not say anything about not taking it serious. You evidently have some type of secure income that closing down an entire economy does not affect. Most folks do not. Yes a bad cold. Not even bad in my and my wifes case as we had it in Feb, and that was confirmed by antibody testing. Does it kill folks? Absolutely, but so does starvation, stress, suicides from losing everything you worked for, and lots of other things. Interesting around here deaths due to normal run of the mill causes such as cancer, heart disease, etc, are all down about 50% officially. What does that tell you?

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
GDS-3950BH wrote:
jdc1 wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
JoeH wrote:
bucky wrote:
I'm sure my wife will put Cockroach Bay on her bucket list. :R

Cockroach Bay is a super fishing area. A few walking trails and a boat launch is all that is there.

That describes some of the newest gulf side parks. Econfina for example, a boat ramp and a trail or two.

On the other hand I don't know of many states that have 177 state parks. Some barely have 27. Florida set up an independent funding method for the parks, the documentary stamp tax goes to the parks. So they have money to buy new parks.

And yes I'm sure that the State sees the parks as an economic benefit. That means that those parks have repeatedly won the best in the country awards. They have been rebuilding every state park campground for several years now, all are or will be FHU with level asphalt pads.

Too bad most other states don't look at their parks the same way in my opinion.
Superbumper

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
bucky wrote:

Cockroach Bay is a super fishing area. A few walking trails and a boat launch is all that is there.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II

This error stuff is getting worse every day. We're just playing with ourselves thinking the IT department knows what they are doing. My 8 year old grand daughter could fix it.
Puma 30RKSS

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Puma 30RKSS

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
jdc1 wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:

GTO66
Explorer II
Explorer II
Parks are only open for day use... Camping start date 5/16/20....

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lwiddis wrote:

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
To little to late. They should have done much more. Itโ€™s frustrating to us who are natives
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad