cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

South Padre Island KOA

Chainwright
Explorer
Explorer
We went there in july. So, offseason. Not much going on. It was pretty quiet. We got a premium spot, up front overlooking the water. I guess the water used to come up closer to the campground because now there's about 200-300 yards of brush and swamp land between the gravel slip and the water. I mean they have a nice deck with chairs and tables, but even if you stand on the deck you can't see the water. You have to actually go up in your coach which sits 5-6 feet high to see some water. lol. There was good separation between us and the neighbors. They have a Nice salt water pool. We enjoyed it and we're not "Big" pool people. The water pressure wasn't good at all. At first I thought it was my rig, so after 2 days of showering in the rig I decided to use the CG bathrooms, but they had the SAME problem, low pressure and the water only stayed hot for 1 minute and then got cold. But the bathrooms were clean.
All in all we enjoyed it. If we happen to go again we won't get the premium spot, because as far as view is concerned there is nothing premium about it, it just comes with a Deck and we can do without that. So it was not worth the $92 a night. Also they don't give any type of discounts, only if you have a KOA card...and we're not THAT fond of KOA.
Campground was clean, But after it rains you'll see brownish yellowish puddles throughout the property and you'll notice a sewage like Stench. But I'm told that its like that in Port Isabel too, I think they must not have a sewage system. Oh well, when the sun comes out and dries everything up, the stench goes away.
We expected more activities, but maybe there weren't any because we were there from Sun-thur.
We went to South Padre many yrs ago and I guess we returned this time to Remind ourselves why we don't like it. They are just like vegas: if they could they'd charge you for the clean ocean air you breath. We happened to notice that they charge you $30 for the 1st hr to rent a bike and $10 dollars every hr after that. Newsflash South Padre, in KEY WEST bikes are $10 a day, AND YOU AIN'T NO KEY WEST...by any stretch of the imagination.
3 REPLIES 3

Chainwright
Explorer
Explorer
JoeH wrote:
Chainwright wrote:
it just comes with a Deck and we can do without that. So it was not worth the $92 a night. Also they don't give any type of discounts, only if you have a KOA card...and we're not THAT fond of KOA.

based on your writeup, it looks like you were there 3+ nights . Had you purchased a KOA Value card, it would have paid for itself with the 10% discount plus you get points you can redeem whenever you want for $'s off your stay. I generally only use KOA for over nights while traveling between destinations. The points do add up. A month or so ago, the only CG near where we were going for several days was a KOA. I was able to apply the points accumulated on our overnight stops to cover the cost of our stay there.

As i said we're not that fond of KOA, so it makes no sense for us to get the card. Also, I'm not saying I can't afford $92, I'm saying the spot was not Worth $92. But since we're on the subject, just about every other CG offers a military discount...but not KOA, maybe they don't appreciate our veterans enough to offer some gratitude in the form of a discount like other CG's do.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Chainwright wrote:
it just comes with a Deck and we can do without that. So it was not worth the $92 a night. Also they don't give any type of discounts, only if you have a KOA card...and we're not THAT fond of KOA.

based on your writeup, it looks like you were there 3+ nights . Had you purchased a KOA Value card, it would have paid for itself with the 10% discount plus you get points you can redeem whenever you want for $'s off your stay. I generally only use KOA for over nights while traveling between destinations. The points do add up. A month or so ago, the only CG near where we were going for several days was a KOA. I was able to apply the points accumulated on our overnight stops to cover the cost of our stay there.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
July is not off-season. Off-season is from Labor day to Memorial day when kids are back in school and it starts getting cooler. Also prices are lower. Summer prices are from Memorial day to Labor day, kids out of school, everyone taking vacation, and prices are higher.