cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Starved Rock State park IL.

joepuma
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to a wedding and am thinking about camping at the campground at Starved Rock. I haven't stayed there for a long time, (when I had a pop up),I now have a 28 with a small slide. I remember the sites small and very tight. Has anyone stayed there lately? any recommendations or site # suggestions? I need to book soon its for Labor Day Weekend. Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
The wooded sites are much smaller and really not that great. We did manage to put a 28' trailer in there. The other (non wooded) sites were much nicer. The park in general is beautiful but I have never seen so much poison ivy in my life!!

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 on Hickory Hollow! Very nice place.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

sweetnoni
Explorer
Explorer
I would personally stay at Hickory Hollow north of Utica on a frontage road along rt 80. Nice, clean campgrounds and not far from the park. Starved
rock Park has deteriorated much in the last few years, and there are many mining issues in the vicinity.

agb2529
Explorer
Explorer
The sites that are labeled as wooded on the map (68-128) are probably the ones you remember as being tight - not really close together but the road through the woods is pretty narrow and manoevering back in with a 28 could be tricky. The other sites, particularly the "non-wooded" ones should be fine - take a look at the satellite view on Google maps to see. One other thing to consider is that a few years ago Illinois jacked up the rates for holiday weekends - it's $35 a night instead of $25. One of the (many) reasons we always go to Wisconsin on Labor Day.
The Long Grove Happy Campers -
Alex & Sandi
2003 Suburban K2500 6.0 L 3.73
2003 Dutchman 19T Sport

kennyd63
Explorer
Explorer
joepuma wrote:
I'm going to a wedding and am thinking about camping at the campground at Starved Rock. I haven't stayed there for a long time, (when I had a pop up),I now have a 28 with a small slide. I remember the sites small and very tight. Has anyone stayed there lately? any recommendations or site # suggestions? I need to book soon its for Labor Day Weekend. Thanks.

Joepuma-

We did not stay there. However we did stayed at the KOA near there, we had a blast it was our first time using our T.T. and visited the park.:B
2019 Braxton Creek 24RLS
2010 Forest River Salem 403FB-Destination Trailer
2014 F150 4X4 Crew Cab