cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Target & Home Depot

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am familiar with Walmart policy on overnighting but was wondering what the general policy of Target, Home Depot & Lowes is? Never seen much mention of them & for once there is no Wally handy where we might want a quick in & gone.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995
20 REPLIES 20

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Busskipper wrote:
Veebyes wrote:
Normally we don't run 300 plus miles days but this year we are doing the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta, dropping our daughter off at the airport on the last day, Sunday, then hightailing it eastward to pick up our son at Baltimore's airport late Friday to make Tilghman Day the next day. Going to find out what interstates look like on this trip. Tilghman Day

Think you might need a couple 500 mile days to do 1866 miles in 4-5 days, Not fun, but somehow doable when the kids are involved.

Bing Map

Best of Luck,

Interesting Bing route. My MS S&T takes me a more southerly route but less than 100 miles longer. Must be due to my road type preferences making the difference.

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
darsben1 wrote:

Try church parking lots also. Except Saturday night

I'd suggest asking permission anywhere before just plonking down for the night unless it's completely obvious that overnight parking is permitted...and even then it's not a bad policy.

If you tried overnighting at my church, for example, you probably wouldn't be run off (if you arrived after everyone left for the day, at least), but you'd find yourself very much in the way the following morning if school were in session. The lot is used by students (on a by-permit basis) at the high school across the road, with the "fee" for the permit being a donation to a local charity of the student's choosing.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
Normally we don't run 300 plus miles days but this year we are doing the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta, dropping our daughter off at the airport on the last day, Sunday, then hightailing it eastward to pick up our son at Baltimore's airport late Friday to make Tilghman Day the next day. Going to find out what interstates look like on this trip. Tilghman Day

Think you might need a couple 500 mile days to do 1866 miles in 4-5 days, Not fun, but somehow doable when the kids are involved.

Bing Map

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
Here in Lake Havasu City, AZ the City does not allow overnight parking. So it doe not matter what the store policy is.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
pigman1 wrote:
My daughter was a Lowes store manager for 16 years. Many stores. The Lowes Corporate policy is similar to the Walmart policy. Unless there are local ordinances or other policies that prohibit overnighting, Lowes Corporate says it's OK. Use common sense and discretion, don't park at the front door, and ask before you set up. Lowes also has a good open internet connection that we've always found covers the store and ALL of their parking lots.

Another option is Cabelas. Same policy and a lot of their stores have set aside spots for RV's and even a dump.

thanks for the info on the internet with Lowes
interesting to know!!

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just ask.
got to manager of any 'huge parking' lot place and ask ๐Ÿ™‚

so many will say SURE to a fast overnighter for sleeping.

we do it all the time and it works out very well!

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Gas stations (as mentioned on page 1) are often an option in remote areas / small towns. I sometimes find them by looking at google maps... I want the one with a big back or side gravel lot and several semis in it ๐Ÿ˜‰
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
I see a lot of these posts asking about the policies of the big chain stores, but the reality is that the local municipality rules trump whatever the company policy is (if they even have one). My local Wal*Mart has signs all over the lot that say "NO OVERNIGHT PARKING". But due to it's convenient location just off of Rt. 80 a lot of truckers and RVers park overnight. Cops usually look the other way, but over the years they have to clean up when the lot-lizard activity gets out of hand. I've parked there overnight without issue. I've also parked behind our local Home Depot without issue. You just need to lay low.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
My daughter was a Lowes store manager for 16 years. Many stores. The Lowes Corporate policy is similar to the Walmart policy. Unless there are local ordinances or other policies that prohibit overnighting, Lowes Corporate says it's OK. Use common sense and discretion, don't park at the front door, and ask before you set up. Lowes also has a good open internet connection that we've always found covers the store and ALL of their parking lots.

Another option is Cabelas. Same policy and a lot of their stores have set aside spots for RV's and even a dump.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
i don't know about other areas but in portland they are cracking down on the 100s of rv's the homeless are living on the streets in.they are trying to move on to home depot ect. I was at home depot last night and they were making two motorhomes leave. i think it will be harder to find places in the large metro areas to boon dock because of this

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
This reminds me of the vacations my parents took me on in the late '60s and early '70s, in a 22' Winnie (complete with shag carpeting and a built-in vacuum). Dad was always in a hurry to reach the destination. Many times he'd pull into a gas station around 10 or 11 pm and tell the attendant he'd fill the gas tank if he could park behind the building for the night. They almost always said sure, go ahead. If they say no, Dad would get back inside and drive to the next station.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
I am familiar with Walmart policy on overnighting but was wondering what the general policy of Target, Home Depot & Lowes is? Never seen much mention of them & for once there is no Wally handy where we might want a quick in & gone.

Having stayed at a few Kmarts over the years and a couple of Lowes - we usually just call and talk to the manager, just like with Wal*Mart, in our 45+ years - One Wal*Mart - One Lowe's - and one Kmart have said NO, so you should be able to work it out.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
Here it depends on the store. Our Target's and Lowes' around here were "Our policy is to make sure we don't need to make a policy..."

Was working ok until we had quite a few less-fortunate folks set up camp in a Target lot. Got too much for the mgmt to handle and the police got involved.