cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TR: Kings Canyon/Sequoia in January (dry camping)

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
There was no boondocking available (the Forest Service closes the back roads, and the National Parks don't allow boondocking); but Azalea Campground (at around 6500 feet) was almost deserted, so it was almost like boondocking in the snow. Here is our blog post -- lots of photos, mostly of big trees with little people, and also snowy peaks:

Blog post
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
6 REPLIES 6

MrWizard
Great pictures
We where there after labor day a few years ago 2014?
Not empty , but very close to it, and Warner weather with rain
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
good idea

Clarryhill
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely beautiful shots as usual, Prof. Many thanks for sharing with us less fortunate. Much appreciated. Loved the ground covered with those little seedlings.
2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks, Cal! And kohldad, although I wish we could keep Kings and Sequoia to ourselves, I also wish more people knew about the cooler, quieter alternative to Yosemite. We've been to that area thirty or forty times in the past twenty years -- it keeps drawing us back.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to see that you didn't let any old 'closed roads' deter you from a winter trip. Outstanding photography as usual.
Cal

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing, it brought back fond memories of our trip from coast-2-coast in 2005 with our teenage girls. After two weeks on the road, we found ourselves with 5 days to kill before our Yosemite reservations so I picked Azalea CG for the delay. While we didn't do near the hiking you did, we did get some in and had the place almost to ourselves. We got spoiled and ended up only spending 2 of the 4 nights in Yosemite because of the crowds making Yosemite such a disappointment after Kings Canyon.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)