cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Video: 10 Boondocking Do's and Don'ts

FirstTracks
Explorer
Explorer
I don't want to insult anyone's experience, but if you're new to boondocking (or if you just need a refresher), you might not understand that there are some unwritten rules of etiquette while camping in the backcountry. This video explains 10 "dos" and "don'ts" for successful boondocking in your RV:
https://youtu.be/3751kg4jhts
Grand Adventure: YouTube.com/GrandAdventure | GrandAdventure.tv
Cottonwood Heights, UT
2016 Evo by Forest River T2050
2014 Toyota Tacoma SR 5.7L V8
Days camped: 2017 - 66 |2018 - 136
37 REPLIES 37

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
I enjoyed the video. Lots of references there to common sense. I hope people who camp and boondock appreciate the results from taking care of a campsite. Along the lines of "leave it cleaner than you found it", is my preoccupation of spending part of my visit looking for items to clean up. Usually broken glass is at the top of my list.
There is something special about camping in an RV.

FirstTracks
Explorer
Explorer
Appreciate it, folks! Honestly we were devastated by the rubbish we found at that one camp featured in the video (Oil Well Flats near Caรฑon City, Colorado), but just about everywhere we found broken glass, shell casings, piles of nails/screws, etc. How people can leave that stuff behind is beyond me.
Grand Adventure: YouTube.com/GrandAdventure | GrandAdventure.tv
Cottonwood Heights, UT
2016 Evo by Forest River T2050
2014 Toyota Tacoma SR 5.7L V8
Days camped: 2017 - 66 |2018 - 136

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I don't know of any boondocking areas that you have the luxury to be "hundreds of yards" away from other boondockers.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
An above average video. Many people are used to camping in camp grounds and do not get the idea of leaving people alone and not camping near them. Cleaning up your mess is apparently not intuitive for many people and they have to be taught. The US needs anti-littering campaigns like we used to have in the 1970s.

My pet peeve is gigantic campfire rings. They serve no purpose except to block the heat and keep you away from the fire. I make it a practice to break them down and get rid of a lot of rocks, at least on one side so I can cook with a Dutch oven.

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoyed the video and common sense rules and consideration for the environment and others.

I just cannot understand how anybody could go to such beautiful places and leave their trash behind. So irresponsible and sad.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good vid. Matches my list.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

JusBud
Explorer
Explorer
No worries, you won't insult my experience...
I made it about 30 seconds into that video.
It's about common sense and unfortunately some people don't have it and those are the ones who aren't going to watch that video and change their ways.
Some are just weekend warriors and maybe rent the rv and don't think the basic rules apply to them.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Too much face time with host. Intro too long. Boring.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad