cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is boondocking and dry camping?

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
This subject is often brought up so I thought we'd put our collective heads together for the sake of newbies and others who are curious what these terms mean. This will be posted as a permanent thread at the top of this forum.

Dry Camping: Means no utility hook ups such as water, electricity, sewer, cable TV or telephone and may or may not require a fee. Can either be in a city, state, or federal campground, a sporting venue or a parking lot.

Overnighting: Stopping at a Rest Stop, Flying J's or WALMART overnight to catch a few winks.

Boondocking: Means wilderness or primitive camping out in the "boondocks." Natural beauty with little or no (noisy) neighbors. This type of camping (usually in Public Lands like State, BLM, and National Forests) is usually FREE. Just find a place and park.

Finally, you always dry camp when you boondock, but you don't always boondock when you dry camp.
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.
88 REPLIES 88

Escargot
Explorer
Explorer
The term boondocks is an American English term for a remote, usually brushy rural area; or to a remote city or town that is considered unsophisticated.

Boondocking - Present participle of boondock.
2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter

stuplich
Explorer
Explorer
bobdifley wrote:
As a writer and blogger I find standardized definitions helpful, both in writing an article/blog and for the reader. Otherwise, the writer finds he has to waste too many words describing a situation and the article/blog bogs down into tedious explanation. I agree basically with Mello Mike's definitions but still find myself struggling to come up with the right terms for (1) Staying one night in a no-hookup forest service campground (overnighting? boondocking? dry-camping?), (2)Joining a gathering of like-minded RVers at a specific location on an LTVA at Quartzsite, (3) The difference between staying at a large no-hookup forest service campground on a busy week-end on the perimeter of a popular national park (crowded, noisy, but no hook-ups) and then moving from there to another part of the same forest but down an old logging road far away from other campers. I think the simpler the definition, the less confusing, as long as a minimal number of words can be used to clarify the site referenced. In my ebook, BOONDOCKING: Finding the Perfect Campsite on America's Public Lands, I also used the term "Coyote Camping" to mean boondocking away from all signs of civilization and organized camping.

Bob Difley
www.HealthyRVLifestyle.com

"Coyote Camping"......Really?
How about:
Cactus Camping
Lake Living
River Resting
Valley Visiting
Hillside Housing
Park Parking

IMO, boondocking, dry camping and overnighting cover all the bases!

Yaj
Explorer
Explorer
BCTrucker wrote:
Walmart parking areas = Lot Lounging??

We call it Wallydocking!

SGGreen
Explorer
Explorer
My brother and I call it Wal Jumping when we go out jumping from one Walmart to another Walmart.

64thunderbolt
Explorer
Explorer
reading & asking questions is the way unless you can hook up with someone experienced to go with. I have been camping for 20 yrs and never once in a campground of any kind. Nice thing about Az, lots of options. Mtns in summer & desert in winter and places for fall & spring. We can always find someplace to go.
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp

DaCrema
Explorer
Explorer
Another RV rookie. I'm taking the long way to subscribe to the thread. I guess that by getting an RV and going camping at our friends farm that I changed the one guy that was Boondocking to a Dry Camper (using the def at the start ๐Ÿ˜‰ Mostly I am just nosing around trying to learn a little.
John

Eurocamper
Explorer
Explorer
jasonlisan wrote:
A couple of pics from the Taylor Reservoir Colorado area.

Very cool photos. Looks like a great camping spot too.
2008 Fleetwood Evolution E1
2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 Hemi
2007 Nissan Xterra 4x4
Ex 1997 Volkswagen Eurovan Camper

jasonlisan
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of pics from the Taylor Reservoir Colorado area.

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
bobdifley wrote:
In my ebook, BOONDOCKING: Finding the Perfect Campsite on America's Public Lands, I also used the term "Coyote Camping" to mean boondocking away from all signs of civilization and organized camping.

Bob Difley

Coyote camping! I like that term!
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
Jerrybo66 wrote:
Well I'll be durned. I too thought it was the same, like mongrel and mutt...... Don't tell me there's a difference there also? ๐Ÿ™‚

OH YES there is a difference.....

a mongrel is a mangey homless hungry mix-breed

a mutt is just a mix-breed but can be well taken care of. HA HA HA

Dar
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

bobdifley
Explorer
Explorer
Glad it worked out and you had a good time. Re: re-charging your battery. Do it whenever you can. There is no need to discharge it completely, nor is it practical.

DerekandRachel
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks bobdifley!
The battery did very well! We used it as you suggested, sparingly on lights etc. Main draw was upon arrival putting down the stabilizers, tongue jack, awning and slide. After that it was just lights and water pump. I learned how to put hot water heater onto gas and fridge onto gas which all seemed to work very well. We had to use the stereo for a little bit to re-charge an iPod but even with all that on Saturday night it was still at 2/3! An overall success I would say and now feeling much more confident about doing this again.

Is it advisable to run your battery down before re-charging or just re-charge it whenever you get the chance (or when you get home)?
2010 Fun Finder X210WBS
1996 Toyota 4Runner V6
Derek, Rachel and Tucco (black lab)
Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH

bobdifley
Explorer
Explorer
Rachel - You should be OK if you are diligent to not forget and leave your lights on when not in use, letting the water run to wash dishes (wet down, scrub, dip in plastic tub of water to rinse), or leave your porch light on at night. Good luck and have fun without the men.

DerekandRachel
Explorer
Explorer
When doing either do people tend to use their bathrooms or any other water from the taps?

I am taking the trailer out this weekend for it's first "no power" experience - I think it would be considered dry camping: small Provincial park (about 40 sites) with no services and limited amenities other than pit toilets and a fish cleaning station. DH-to-be is staying home for his stag party so it's just me and the girls!

The trailer just has the one deep cycle battery that cruiser RV supplies them with. We're going Friday afternoon to sunday afternoon... The power jacks will run when you hook up to the TV so I'm not worried about running it dry. Think it'll last two days if all it's running is the water pump for three ladies washing dishes and using the toilet? (fridge and HW tank going onto propane).

Just not sure if the dry camping means bringing water along in aqua packs too...?
2010 Fun Finder X210WBS
1996 Toyota 4Runner V6
Derek, Rachel and Tucco (black lab)
Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH

bobdifley
Explorer
Explorer
As a writer and blogger I find standardized definitions helpful, both in writing an article/blog and for the reader. Otherwise, the writer finds he has to waste too many words describing a situation and the article/blog bogs down into tedious explanation. I agree basically with Mello Mike's definitions but still find myself struggling to come up with the right terms for (1) Staying one night in a no-hookup forest service campground (overnighting? boondocking? dry-camping?), (2)Joining a gathering of like-minded RVers at a specific location on an LTVA at Quartzsite, (3) The difference between staying at a large no-hookup forest service campground on a busy week-end on the perimeter of a popular national park (crowded, noisy, but no hook-ups) and then moving from there to another part of the same forest but down an old logging road far away from other campers. I think the simpler the definition, the less confusing, as long as a minimal number of words can be used to clarify the site referenced. In my ebook, BOONDOCKING: Finding the Perfect Campsite on America's Public Lands, I also used the term "Coyote Camping" to mean boondocking away from all signs of civilization and organized camping.

Bob Difley