cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

When to go? Spring/Summer/Fall

kyteacher
Explorer
Explorer
So the wife and I just finished our last summer trip and on the way home were discussing upcoming trips we'd like to do the next year or 2. We've got 13 and 10 year old girls and the years just seem to be going really fast.

Southern Utah (Zion, Arches, Canyonland, Bryce), Grand Canyon National Parks are a must trip for us. We live in Louisville, KY by the way. I was telling her that everyone that responded on this website about traveling to this area during the summer cautioned about how hot it is during June and early July.

This led us to this question: should we try a different time of the year. We know we will need more time to truly experience this area, and plan to do that later in life when our kids are grown. Right now we want to take the kids out there to see what a beautiful area it is and sports schedules, camp schedules, etc... don't allow for a month or two.

So here are the options we were discussing:

Option 1- Take about 18-21 days for this trip. We tow our 26' travel trailer. It's about 4 days out and 4 days back and we'd have about 10-14 days. That would likely be between mid-June to about the first week in July.

Option 2- Our fall break is the 3rd week in October. We'd fly in to Vegas, rent a car, use hotel/airbnb instead of pulling our TT. We'd have about 9 days to drive a loop through Utah/Arizona. No camper. Quick trip. Not how we'd prefer to do the trip, but maybe not as hot/crowded and no 8 days of driving out and back, but we could still see most everything we want.

Option 3- Similar as option 2, except go at spring break. Our spring break is the first week in April.

I know there are a zillion variables to consider. We want to see Zion, Grand Canyon, Arches and however many other National Parks other beautiful areas in between.

Opinions?
17 REPLIES 17

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Well Teacher,

Vegas is a great bivouac for the Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam. (OK, do the dam tour. I just had to add that.) Find a charter flight with a tour group for cheap.

While in Vegas, take them to a Cirque show. These are expensive, but none will regret it.

Most of the others mentioned are a day+ trip, but you can do it.

Louisville is a great starting place for the eastern part of the country, so don't pass up the things that are in range.

Buy the book and do the Natchez Trace with a stop in Vicksburg.
Run the Blue Ridge Parkway and make all the special stops.

You have about 2~3 years before they will be self propelled and gone. Make the most of it.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
April may be too early for some of those locations with snow, rain, etc. Too wet. In my opinion, Fall mid to end September is the best time. Less crowds and perfect weather. October may be pushing it, but others who have visited that time of year can say better. Your better bet may be Option 1, but make reservations since that's the busy time of year.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Come to the Pacific Northwest during the summer. The Oregon coast is unbeatable, plus we have Crater Lake, mountains, high desert, Willowa Lake, part of the Oregon Trail all crammed into one beautiful state. We have three diverse regions so weather and temps can vary widely. On top of all that there is lots to see and do in almost all of the state.