cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yellowstone Eastside or Westside

tkoden
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning my first family trip and I haven't been to yellow stone since I was a kid 20 yrs ago. Which side of Yellowstone is better to stay at? We will be coming from CA with our final destination being South Dakota. Are there more/better things to do and see on the Westside vs the Eastside?
22 REPLIES 22

tkoden
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the info and input. I managed to get into the fishing bridge campground (I hope I can fit). I am looking forward to the trip over the next two weeks.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, with a baby in a backpack, I guess your hiking range depends on how strong the backpack carriers are! Our favorite hike was to Fairy Falls and the Imperial Geyser area -- about three miles each way, not hilly or difficult, and you get to have your own private geyser show, which teenaged boys would really enjoy -- it is noisy and violent. Just be careful where you step or sit, because some of the ground is hot, and the hot stuff is dangerously thin ground:

In that shot, I tried to time it so that the geyser would be going off during the shot, using the self timer on the camera mounted on a tripod. I could not catch the geyser at full height -- but this is what it looked like at its peak:

The falls are pretty cool, too -- you can get some idea of the scale by comparison to the size of my wife, in the lower right corner of the shot:

You could do this hike with a baby, if the baby will nap. Also, there are sandy places near the geyser that are safe for a crawling baby (test it with your hand first) -- the sandy places are buffalo wallows, where the bison come to scratch their backs in the sand.

If you are interested in more detail, here is a link to our blog post -- there is a lot of stuff in this post about other areas (like the Tetons), but just scroll down to the Yellowstone area:

Yellowstone blog post
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

tkoden
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 - I have 2 foster sons, 17 & 19 and a 6 month old baby. The boys like fishing and exploring. We all like hiking but it has to be a pretty mild hike with the baby. We also like exploring dirt roads.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kirk, how old are your kids? Do they like to hike? How long can you spend at Yellowstone? Let us know what floats your boat and we can make some more specific recommendations.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
Xanterra is the concessionaire in the Park and manages most of the parks.
John A. Lichty

tkoden
Explorer
Explorer
Xanterra? Never heard of that site before. I am a complete campsite noob. I usually just dry camp at my company beach.

maria_bettina
Explorer
Explorer
Keep checking the Xanterra reservation website daily, because people are canceling all the time. It changes daily.

Example, I had a spot at Fishing Bridge but canceled it three days ago; I booked it a couple months ago but plans changed and I am tenting it now. I booked a spot at Grant Campground this morning (because there was nothing available the last few days). Good luck!

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
jalichty wrote:
As far as the dry camping at Colter Bay, they are working on the water lines and other stuff on the bigger sites, about half the campground and they have a length limit of 24' on the part that's open, with no generator usage.

just to clarify, the Colter Bay Campground(not the RV Park)has some loops that generators are not allowed but also loops where they are allowed.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

leesan
Explorer
Explorer
I also agree with Grizzly RV park. We are staying there this July. Reservations most likely are all taken if so you can stay inside the park on first come first campgrounds.This park is located on the West side of Yellowstone Good luck

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Camper wrote:
Actually, I prefer the northern entrance (not to be confused with the northeast entrance). Second choice would be west.

my BIL and his friend stay at a campground a little North of the N entrance, on the yellowstone river IIRC.
bumpy

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
As far as the dry camping at Colter Bay, they are working on the water lines and other stuff on the bigger sites, about half the campground and they have a length limit of 24' on the part that's open, with no generator usage. We were up there last week and couldn't get in so stayed at Gros Ventre. The work is supposed to be done by the 2nd of July and back in full operation. Hope so, because we plan on going up to Colter Bay around the 8th of July for a week.
John A. Lichty

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
We are staying right now at Henry's Lake State Park in Idaho, 15 miles from West entrance. For reference, it's 50 miles from Henry's Lake to Old Faithful Geyser. They have added a brand new loop here with new bath house that looks pretty well ready to open. Grass has just been planted, but everything else looks finished. If interested, ask them about the new loop with full hook ups.
2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
the west yellowstone side is our favored choice if we can't get into one of the campgrounds inside the park.
we like staying about 15 miles south of the town of west yellowstone at Henry's Lake State park, water and elec and dump station. There is also a decent RV park just before you get to the state park turn off, with a very nice laundry.
west yellowstone has a museum or two and plenty of eateries and two little grocery stores and lots of shops for tourists.
east of yellowstone park is Cody. It is too far for commuting to and from the park, but has an outstanding museum of the West. There is also Buffalo Bill Cody's old hotel Irma with a great buffet and nightly shootout on the street.
But if you haven't been down into the Tetons Park, that's even better.
Lots to see out there.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing east to speak off , suggest splitting time among the other three directions.

We are staying in Gardiner this next time for us.
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks