Rubiranch
Explorer
Explorer
Camp Host, from the other side.
953 REPLIES 953

tothetrail
Explorer
Explorer

The Big Island, 2005, If you've ever thought about boondocking in Hawaii with a rented Camper Van--Don't do it! This thing smelled like puke and ran just the same. Oh well, at least we can look back and laugh!

Dumont Sand Dunes, 2006, Now this is camping! I didn't see and sand trip pics yet, so here's what our group usually looks like.

Dumont Sand Dunes, 2008, Another typical sand trip.

Dumont Sand Dunes, 2010

Sequoia National Park, 2008, This is Sunset Campground. I arrived with no reservations on the Wednesday night before 4th of July weekend, and found a very cool spot. I was surrounded by international visitors and helped more than one of them with their rental motorhomes.

Lake Shasta, 2005, packing up to go home. I'm not giving away the location of this cool spot! But you can definitely hear the trains all night.

Lake Shasta, 2006, same sopt, before everyone got there. Lake level a bit lower this year.

Lake Shasta, 2006, Packing up to go home.
2003 Foretravel U295
Jennifer

montanacamping
Explorer
Explorer

Canyon Ferry Lake, Montana

Moose Creek, Montana. Camping with my wifes family over Labor Day, we had 10 campers in there.

My oldest Tay fishing on the Madison River

My youngest Port playing on the fourwheeler up Moose Creek

My Boys

Port

Tay
2009 Jayflight G2
2005 Z71 Burb
2002 GMC 8.1 crewcab

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Eurocamper
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
Simpson Springs - anywhere near the highway from Great Basin into Utah?

It's a ways north of "The Loneliest Road in America." Maybe 70 miles north of Delta, Utah.

Simpson Springs is 23 miles from the nearest paved road. The road along The Pony Express Trail is generally gravel and well maintained. If you stray off the main road onto one of the the many side-spurs, the roads can get a lot rougher.

Pony Express National Historic Trail

Simpson Springs BLM Campground

Fish Springs National Wildlife Refuge
2008 Fleetwood Evolution E1
2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 Hemi
2007 Nissan Xterra 4x4
Ex 1997 Volkswagen Eurovan Camper

Eurocamper
Explorer
Explorer
sirdrakejr wrote:
I like the Smith and what appears to be a H&R .22 pistol.
Frank

Very observant. That's a S&W Model 686P .357 magnum w/7-shot cylinder; the other revolver is an H&R "22 Special" w/9-shot cylinder.(Exact model yet to be determined, H&R made a lot of them.)
2007 Nissan Xterra 4x4

sirdrakejr
Explorer
Explorer
I like the Smith and what appears to be a H&R .22 pistol. Looks like you handle them pretty well too.
Frank
2011 Palomino Maverick 1000SLLB on a 2004 Dodge Quadcab CTD Ram3500 SRW long bed equipped with Timbren springs, Stable Load bump stops, Rickson 19.5" wheels/"G" range tires and a Helwig "Big Wig" rear anti sway bar.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Simpson Springs - anywhere near the highway from Great Basin into Utah?
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Eurocamper
Explorer
Explorer
Camping at Simpson Springs along the Pony Express Trail. This part of the trail travels through the vast west desert of Utah and into Nevada. The Pony Express used Simpson Springs as a way-station along the route. It was also the site of a Civilian Conservation Corps Camp established in the 1930's.

Spent a lot of time plinking cans with my son. Utah's west desert is primarily BLM land and open to the public, target shooting is a common activity out here.

We day-tripped out to Fish Springs National Wildlife Refuge, a 10,000 acre oasis of lakes and marshland located in a remote corner of the Great Salt Lake desert. The waterways of the refuge are fed by five large fresh-water springs that emerge from the base of the mountain.

2007 Nissan Xterra 4x4

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
Nice pictures on this page!
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

crosscheck
Explorer
Explorer
South of Zion NP up some back road.TC is blocking cool desert wind. 04/11

Dave
2016 F350 Diesel 4X4 CC SRW SB,
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex Freedom 2012 inverter, 4 6V GC-2 (450AH)
2006 F350 CC 4X4 sold
2011 Outfitter 9.5' sold
Some Of Our Fun:http://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca/

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Here's one of our favorite boondocking spots - one that we go to every October, for our last camping of the year. We park out in the open so that we can warm up during the day. This area is used as a snowmobile parking lot in the winter and camping spot all other times of the year.

These first three are of the camping spot.

These are of the surrounding area, the river just below where we camped.

Okie_in_Wyoming
Explorer
Explorer
Okie in Wyoming wrote:
Memorial Day 2010, Glendo Reservior

Alas, we learned this past Memorial Day that we can no longer camp here (our favorite place)! They are now making you park where there is a fire ring and state provided picnic table - ONE camper per site. We can no longer circle the wagons with our camping buddies away from others.
They also tried to tell us that we had too many in camp since I drove the SUV pulling our boat. Said that was 2 not 1. But in talking with the Park Police, they said we could keep both vehicles in camp.
This was our favorite lake to spend time fishing and with friends but it is a nightmare now to find a campsite.
Sigh, Okie
Smiles across the Miles
Darling Husband
2 Wonderful Dogs
And Me
2007 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab(Diesel)
2010 Cougar 276RLS

HobbyTalk
Explorer
Explorer
Dome Rock Road Quartzsite

Sold the RV, bought a house in North Fort Myers
tgif: let's RV - Facebook

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
This is the closest we've come to boondocking.

Thornhill Broome Beach - Point Magu State Park

Table Mountain CG - Angeles National Forest - 7200 ft

Bounder94
Explorer
Explorer
I re-edited my post and hopefully they show up now....

If not, then simply go HERE and view them all....the Bounder photos are about halfway down and at the bottom of the page. Enjoy and sorry for the problems.

Bounder94
1994 Bounder 28T with 50k
Ford 460, F-53 chassis