cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AC/DC upgrade

Imagine
Explorer
Explorer
I am upgrading the electrical in my Class C. I just installed an Ultra III 55 amp converter to replace the old Magnatek to get better battery charging. With the battery disconnected and plugged into shore power (AC) I show there is 12+ volts power at the DC lug on the converter panel, but there is nothing showing at the battery.

The 10 gauge DC+ wire goes down to a compartment next to the battery and connects to another small panel with several wires, fuses and what looks like a relay.

(I'm newer to the forum and tried to download a picture using the image icon on the editor, but apparently not smart enough to know how. Help here would also be appreciated as it is asking for a URL)

The cable from the battery compartment also goes to the compartment next door and to this small panel. It seems to be blocking the flow as there is no DC showing at the battery wires or at this panel

I would like to install a larger gauge wire directly to charge the battery but I don't understand what is this panel doing and why it is in the middle of everything? I appreciate any help.
Ain't Dead Yet!
11 REPLIES 11

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I went to photobucket to see the pic. clicked on the "IMG" copy and pasted directly to RV.net. Did not use the rv.net photo icon tool.

Click your post to edit and click my post as quote to see the syntax difference.

Imagine
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the replies. Sorry to learn now my new WFCO Ultra III has a history of problems. You would think they got the bugs worked out in I and II :S

#1)So why can smkettner display my photo but my post doesn't show it?

#2) Yes, I understand the 10 gauge wire is way too small and want to replace it with something much bigger. The old magnatek had the whimpy 10 gauge wire going from the Battery lug on the converter to this panel in the photo and I presume that is what charged the battery. I could bypass this panel, but first I am trying to find out what this it does. Why is it here. What will I lose if I go directly to the Battery with 6 gauge wire, etc

Thanks for your help.
Ain't Dead Yet!

diveman52
Explorer
Explorer
For a 55 amp charger you should use #6 AWG wire at the least to your panel with a 60 amp fuse or circuit breaker.
40+ Years in Electrical construction.
Retired IBEW Local 595
Every Days Saturday
2008 Newmar Dutch Star 4035

Imagine
Explorer
Explorer
This shouldn't be so difficult!! I'll try once more

Yes this is a WFCO. The panel does look OEM.

Ain't Dead Yet!

Imagine
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses so far and help with the images.

Hopefully this will show up now. This is the photo of the panel I was referring to. The 10 gauge wire with voltage from the converter goes into the bottom of the relay socket on the right. I have no voltage at the large black (battery wires or the red wires at center.

Moderator note: You had the correct idea but you copied the URL incorrectly. I fixed the URL and now the picture shows. Hope this helps you out.

Ain't Dead Yet!

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
This is a WAFCO converter and the manual WF8955
Unfortunately WAFCO has a rather poor reputation.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Imagine wrote:
Snip...
(I'm newer to the forum and tried to download a picture using the image icon on the editor, but apparently not smart enough to know how. Help here would also be appreciated as it is asking for a URL)

Snip...

You need to upload your picture to a hosting site such as the free sites:
Imgur.com
Tinypic.com
or
Photobucket.com

Then copy the uploaded url from that site and paste it into the image icon. Be careful which url you copy. If it already has the {img} in front of it you do not need to paste into the image icon box - just past it directly into your post. Make sure you put the width=640 statement just before the final {/img} if you use that method. If not, then put 640, or any smaller number into the "width" box and leave the other box empty.

I use imgur most of the time as it is so easy to use. All of them are free unless you want additional features.

Click here for a detailed tutorial on how to post pictures on our forums.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Imagine wrote:
I am upgrading the electrical in my Class C. I just installed an Ultra III 55 amp converter to replace the old Magnatek to get better battery charging.
Is that a WFCO? These are notorious for not switching to boost mode when expected. If your batteries are 50% low you should see voltage steadily rise above 14.0. I hope it works as expected.

Does the panel look OEM or installed by a prior owner? Could be a battery disconnect relay or an isolator system to allow some charge from the alternator. Or something else such as automatic generator start. A pic or part number will be needed unless someone has the exact set up and see this.

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Not your problem but #10 is too small. Relay may be a battery disconnect. ๐Ÿ™‚
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check for a couple of large fuses on converter....reverse polarity.
If they are blown no DC output to battery system.

And if blown check for correct wiring before replacing them

Posting pictures can only be done via a public picture posting site....can't download directly from your computer.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31