cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Alternate HD all metal electric step motor

Roy-ston
Explorer
Explorer
My Entry Step Motor, SP1636669 has packed up (aluminium drive that metal gear hexagon sits in has stripped). I have looked for replacements and have found many direct replacements around $90 and have also found an all metal gear unit at $150 and am wondering if anyone has fitted the all metal gear type motor.

All all metal unit sounds good to me as when I stripped the broken unit and looked inside the gears are a white plastic and some sort of clear plastic spacers.

The concern I have is that if I fit the all metal gear type unit will the controller become the weak link if the steps become tight??

Has anyone fitted the all metal heat motor??

2012 Holiday Rambler Vacationer SBT36

Information from website

*BRAND NEW *
RV MAX TM Replacement RV All Metal retractable steps motor
Fits Part #s SP-163669,SP-1636669, and 300-1406
For Lippert, LCI, Frigette, & Stromberg Carlson electric steps

Plastic vs. Steel?
Enter the RV MAX all steel motor, an exact flawless replacement, fully compatible with all step & module components, encapsulated in rubber sealant and O ring sealed under the 9 tooth gear which is connected to the ring gear (also steel) with a locking metal lug system. NO slipping and ratcheting plastic gear to shred when you stop at a rest area and park too close to the curb & your steps try to open .(It takes a few times but this and "riding" the steps up or down trashes the gear) The metal gear will take a lot more punishment.This is the best replacement motor for your steps and should give you years of service. So stop crawling around under your RV or Trailer fussing with that finicky cheap plastic gear motor and replace it once and for all.
9 REPLIES 9

Roy-ston
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Chris, no luck with the buddy contact in Japan but the eBay seller has reduced the price from $140 to $109 so I decided to buy and get the job done before winter sets in

Roy-ston
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Chris, no luck with the buddy contact in Japan but the eBay seller has reduced the price from $140 to $109 so I decided to buy and get the job done before winter sets in

Roy-ston
Explorer
Explorer
I will ask my old work buddy to email one of his contacts in Japan and see if they can find the source and will let you know what transpires.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I wasn't clear- while that motor looks like the old GM 3 wire, it does just have 2- the resemblance is in the through bolts holding the end caps on. Either one of those you gave links to should be fine.
I would love to know a source for those though.
-- Chris Bryant

Roy-ston
Explorer
Explorer
forgot the link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stromberg-Carlson-Motorhome-RV-Coach-Trailer-Entry-Step-300-1406-MOTOR-UPGRADE-/181472678456?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a409d5238&vxp=mtr

Roy-ston
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Chris - I did not notice the three wires but you may be correct, my unit has 2 wires. I am guessing that the third wire would be a ground - any idea?

Just found another @ $140 and image shows just 2 wires, this guy also ships to Canada

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the link (clickable)
That does look like a good motor- it appears to have a metal spring in it for shock absorbing. My point was that in normal operation there will be a load applied- it's no different hitting a curb than opening all the way- the step moves until it cannot, then stops. Other than that, the motor looks good- it looks more like the old style GM 3 wire motors.
The small spacers are about the only parts available (most auto parts stores, Ford power window motor regulator plugs), though I have only had the plastic gear itself strip once.
-- Chris Bryant

Roy-ston
Explorer
Explorer
Hi and thanks for the quick response - this is the link - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stromberg-Carlson-LCI-RV-Trailer-Motorhome-Entry-Step-All-Metal-Sealed-Motor-/221547511763?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Accessories&hash=item339542bfd3&vxp=mtr

I think the point the seller is making is that if the step is obstructed it puts stress on the plastic gears and over time they will strip. I understand the controller will shut power off but the load has to be applied for it to do that.

When you say the spacers are available for under $10 do you have a source for the individual motor components - my issue is that the on the other end of the small gear is a hexagon spigot that locates into an aluminium drive and the hexagon in the aluminium drive has stripped

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
What's the website? At first blush, it sounds great, but the plastic parts are there as shock absorbers (those spacers are available for under $10). When they say :
NO slipping and ratcheting plastic gear to shred when you stop at a rest area and park too close to the curb & your steps try to open .(It takes a few times but this and "riding" the steps up or down trashes the gear)

it makes no sense- there is no difference between the step hitting a curb while opening and the step opening the whole way- the step hits a point where it cannot move, the motor draws a higher current, and the circuit board shuts it off.
-- Chris Bryant