cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Alternate LED fixtures

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Thought this might give some ideas- we recently remodeled one of the solar/commercial motor homes I work on (major tear out and rebuild). Having bought miles of LED strips to find the right ones, we fabricated some fixtures out of aluminum channel- the type that is used for plywood edging.
The light:

The fixture on the wall was converted as well- lots of leftover small strips ๐Ÿ™‚
Closeup, unlighted and lighted:

The main makeup stations- these are 5050 strips, binned for precise color temp of 5500k, run in aluminum channel with diffuser plastic covers:

Some under counter colored led lighting- one of those $15 ebay deals. Note the NovaKool under counter reefer:

I know the style of these are not for everyone- being a commercial vehicle, it's a bit more industrial, but I though some might be interested in them.
-- Chris Bryant
3 REPLIES 3

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
Chris, would you share the result of your research on how to buy good LED strips? I'm interested in replacing some 120 volt fluorescents that have foot tubes.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lee Valley sells some LED lighting systems similar to these, with purpose-designed aluminum extrusions and diffusers. I don't mean to suggest that they're necessarily nicer than what was put together here, which is very neat work indeed. However, it may be a little simpler to work with a purpose-designed system with matched components.

Here are some quick links to the aluminum channels and diffusers and the LED light tapes and associated electronics. The corner extrusion looked particularly interesting to me; I might give it some serious consideration if I ever do some significant refurbishing/refinishing of my motorhome interior.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Chris,

Looks great to me. Thanks for sharing it.

I have fluorescents which are efficient compared to incandescent, but if I ever loose a ballast I'll be going led.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.