cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Connect Sink Directly to Portable Wastewater Tank

nc_beagle
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I'm working out some basic plumbing for a 6x12 cargo trailer --> camper conversion. My only inside water will be for a sink so I wondered if I could connect the sink drain directly to a portable wastewater tank (https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Sewer/Tote-N-Stor/TNS25951.html) with a short RV sewer hose (https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Sewer/Viper/D04-0402.html.) The tank opening looks like it's made to fit one end of the sewer hose, but I'm not sure about connecting the other end to the bottom of the sink, where I have a 1 1/4" threaded strainer. Anyone tried something like this? The tank will be directly below the sink.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Mark
21 REPLIES 21

nc_beagle
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone!

Let me elaborate. These would just be 1-2 night trips and the holding tank is right beneath the sink, inside the camper. I'd take it out when I get home and empty it. I do trail races that are sometimes far enough away to require staying overnight. It would be for use at the races. It would mostly be used at night.

I don't mind putting the p-trap in if it's useful. Just didn't want to if it isn't. I'm just not sure if I'll have enough room to use a pipe like I linked to in addition to plumbing in a trap. I probably only have 18" (maybe?) between the bottom of the sink and the grey water container.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
nc_beagle wrote:
Thanks for the quick response. I'm always up for a trip to Lowes. You think if I tell them what I'm doing, they'll get me the right parts? Do I really need a P-trap if there are no issues with gas/methane coming up from the tank? I would expect dirt, soap, and water are all that will go down the sink drain.

Gray water often smells worse than Black water. You do want a P-trap. It could be as simple as putting a loop in the hose but then you have to remember.

Where do you plan to camp? I know people who do this and I don't have an issue with it but it likely violates the rules at a lot of campgrounds.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
If you are using a hose outside, its easy enough to just loop it also. That can be done inside also.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
A simply item like this is commonly used for a direct connection to tank using a hose. If it all runs downhill you do not need a trap.

Evacuation Drain Port

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
You will get smells up through the sink area. Is the holding tank going inside or outside the camper?
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

nc_beagle
Explorer
Explorer
jdc1 wrote:
Go to Lowe's or HD. They's have all but the part the hose connects to. Be sure to use a p-trap and a "Studor Vent".
how to plumb drain line for washer and vent with studor vent ...

Thanks for the quick response. I'm always up for a trip to Lowes. You think if I tell them what I'm doing, they'll get me the right parts? Do I really need a P-trap if there are no issues with gas/methane coming up from the tank? I would expect dirt, soap, and water are all that will go down the sink drain.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go to Lowe's or HD. They's have all but the part the hose connects to. Be sure to use a p-trap and a "Studor Vent".
how to plumb drain line for washer and vent with studor vent ...