cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Converting to 12v fridge Canada question

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
So I'm thinking hard about converting to a 12v fridge. My plan would be to remove the current 6 cu ft fridge, make some adjustments to the top section to give me more room and to put in a 12v fridge.

So, first question is who would be a good source for one in Canada. My Google didn't turn up any on-line suppliers, and I've no idea what it would cost to buy one from etrailer or the like in the US and have it shipped up, but I doubt it would be cheap.

Second is, would I have to upgrade the 12v wiring that is currently in place? I'm almost thinking of running wiring the length of the trailer and bypassing the panel. I'd put a breaker at the batteries, but it's 30+ ft between the fridge and the batteries so I'd run some pretty hefty wires for this. Could come up through the hole the current propane comes through as it wouldn't be needed anymore.

Lastly, how loud are these things? Again it's 20+ ft from the fridge to the bedroom (front bedroom and fridge on the back wall).

Thanks.
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS
16 REPLIES 16

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Novacool out of Coquitlam, B.C. makes good quality 12V fridges. A little spendy down here.
My Norcold quit working so I went with a GE 12V RV/Off the grid fridge. I will say it's very quiet. Not silent like an absorption fridge but you barely hear the compressor unless it stone quiet in the TT
I ran my 12V wire to a 12V breaker in the fuse panel. You could easily run a wire directly to the batteries if you wanted.
I had a 8 cuft (Really 7.5 cuft) and the GE 10 cuft fit right in the Norcold slot.
You'll never hear the fridge that far away.
One big plus is that it cools down very fast. About 2 hours to 34-37*
Our Norcold took most of a day to do that.

I only used it for 1/2 the summer last year but did do some dry camping with it. I can easily go 3-4 days with four 6V GC batteries and 400W of solar. We run what we want when we want so we don't conserve power when out camping. I would say with my setup I could easily go 5-6 days or longer if the days were always sunny. Not sure but I would think with conservation and out in the open on sunny days I could go forever with the 12V fridge.

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
Is there such a thing as a 12 Volt refrigerator anymore? Just trying to help but not having any luck either!
I do know that the old 3 way we had in a previous RV was only good on 12 volts driving . Had to switch to gas or 110 15 Amp when parked!
It seems that that kind of a draw would kill your battery pretty quickly.
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD