cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electronic Ignition for Stovetop (w/pics)

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
I finally got tired enough of the piezoelectric igniter on my Atwood stovetop that I decided to replace it with a battery-powered igniter unit. You know what I’m talking about. You twist the knob; bam, bam, bam . . . bam, bam, bam and sometimes the burner lights and sometimes not.:M
I removed the old igniter and took some measurement to determine the available real estate. I found a replacement electronic igniter for Charbroil grills from Home Depot for $30 that looked promising.
The hole for the original igniter was 5/8” and the new one requires 7/8”. If you have a unibit step drill, that would work nice. But since I don’t and didn’t want to spend the $$ I used a stone grinder bit and “hogged” the hole out to 7/8. You need to “cheat” the hole slightly up and to the left for a little more clearance for the igniter.
Pull the wires off the old igniter and slide them on to the new, order does not matter. Even though the old igniter has round pins and the new has spade pins, the terminals slide on with a tight fit and work fine. Due to the higher voltage of this unit I saw occasional flashover between the terminals when it was activated. I solved that by adding a second layer of heat shrink over the terminals.
The new igniter has four terminals and since the stovetop only has three burners, that left one to add a sparker for the oven pilot light. The new unit comes with spare 37” and 32” igniter wires. I joined the two together and they were long enough to reach across the stovetop, and follow the oven control plumbing down into the oven. The longer wire looks like it has a high-temp coating, but I also wrapped the part that is actually in the oven with high-temp fiberglass tape. I needed a sparker so I removed the one from my gas grill side burner, which I never use anyway. After removing the burner assembly from the oven, I “guesstimated” the location for the sparker and drilled a 7/16” hole in the pilot support plate. Once the sparker was in place, I reinstalled the burner assembly. The sparker electrode had to be “tweaked” slightly to get a reliable spark to the outlet end of the pilot light tube.
If you don’t add the oven igniter, you need to install one of the supplied wires on the fourth terminal and coil and stow the wire so that it won’t short to the stove. If you don’t do this, the bare terminal on the igniter will flashover to the others.
After installing the single AA battery and turning on the gas, it was time for a test run.
Aaaahh . . . The stovetop burners light almost instantly, quietly and reliably. The electronic ignition sparks about six times per second for as long as you hold the button as opposed to three sparks per half-revolution of the knob on the old one.
The oven pilot lights nicely. I’ve found that if you turn the oven knob to “pilot” and hold it for about 10 seconds and then push the igniter button, it will light almost instantly. I was a little concerned about the wire in the oven, so I heated the oven to 500 degrees for a test. Everything looks good and smoke check passed.
DW is HAPPY, and you know what that means . . .:B

Before

Old Piezoelectric Igniter

New Electronic Igniter

Oven Pilot Light Sparker Installation

After

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.
186 REPLIES 186

onetonford
Explorer
Explorer
12thgenusa wrote:
whiteeye42 wrote:
just my opinion on the oven ignigter there is a reason why the manufacture does not put one in the oven and it is because if by chance the over knob gets turned on and you don't catch in time the oven will fill with gas and then you go to lite the stove top and everything goes BOOM so just be really careful with it and check all the knobs before lighting any burners on the stove top

Not true. The oven gas valve will not turn on regardless of the knob position unless it senses heat from the pilot light. The pilot then lights the main burner when called for by the setting of the knob with feed back from the temp sensor. The above mod only makes it more convenient to light the pilot. Electronic ignition without a pilot for the oven is a whole different ball game. Nothing in this mod changes the original operation of the stove or oven; it is just more convenient and reliable.

NOT True If You turn oven knob to turn on pilot it will fill oven with gas I know because this has happened to me. Good thing we smelled it before we lit the stove. That is why when I modded mine it does not have one in the oven.

Harry_Havasu
Explorer
Explorer
whiteeye42 wrote:
Well dumb of me to be thinking of safety because things do happen and things do break and propane in an enclosed space is not good at least if you lit the oven manually you would at least smelled the build up of propane before striking the match but then again it is only my opinion on this matter

Well --- some of us get it and some of us never will.

Whether you light an over by a match or a spark, the same fail safes are in place.
Harry Havasu

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
and a flashlight so I can see the pilot.

7.3 psdman wrote:
I went with the Charbroil seperate push button switch and module for the magic chef. Still waiting on the electrode, ground wire and extension wire needed to finish the installation. Hope someday that they have oven lighters standard in RVs, what a pain, having to roll around on the floor with a lighter in one hand and a gas control knob in the other. Tom
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

7_3_psdman
Explorer
Explorer
I went with the Charbroil seperate push button switch and module for the magic chef. Still waiting on the electrode, ground wire and extension wire needed to finish the installation. Hope someday that they have oven lighters standard in RVs, what a pain, having to roll around on the floor with a lighter in one hand and a gas control knob in the other. Tom

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
DD716TED wrote:
I love this mod and have came across the electronic module in a close out bin for $8... where can I find the 3 electrodes needed to do the install since my stove is currently a match light unit? It is a Suburban so do I need longer electrodes or what? Not concerned with oven at present...

You will need to add electrodes. I think these could be made to work. You might have to make a small angle bracket to mount next to each burner and experiment with air gap for optimum spark.
This place also has igniter wire that you will probably need. Or you might be able to make your own wiring to ensure you get the right type/size connectors for the module and electrodes.

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Just ordered a electronic igniter from Amazon. Ran the idea by DW and she loves it said when will you install?
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
I love this mod and have came across the electronic module in a close out bin for $8... where can I find the 3 electrodes needed to do the install since my stove is currently a match light unit? It is a Suburban so do I need longer electrodes or what? Not concerned with oven at present...

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Great looking project. Thanks! I can't believe the few unfounded negative responses. I can see no dangerous potential caused by this change.

Also thanks, tenbear for the Amazon link for the same exact item as HD for less than half the price.

Someday, someone will post a great idea like this and noone will be able to find anything negative to say about it.

Alpenliter
Explorer
Explorer
Tom&Dale wrote:
Diveman52 wrote:
On my Magic Chef range top there was not room to install the new electronic sparker (found a 3 wire unit on amazon) so I modded it with a remove switch which took the place of the old twist knob. Now I just have a small red button. Mounted the electronic sparker to a plate under the cook top. I used the original center mounter electrode and grounded the other two leads.

Diveman52,
I'm in the same situation, Magic Chef without enough room, and I really want to do this upgrade. Tried to find the 3 wire one you mention on Amazon but no luck. Could you please reply with the part number or a link to it.
Also do you plan on adding this mod to your motor home updates site?
Thanks,
Tom

Tom, I found my 3 wire one at Wall Mart. Can't hurt to give it a try!
My first Wife Linda, 45+years
2004 F-450 CC, DRW 6.0 Classy Chassis Upgrade
Bulletproof Diesel upgrades
1997 33' Alpenlite
400 Watts Solar
Lifetime Good Sam Member #39644174
Escapees SKP#89882

Vietnam Vet '67-'68

[

Tom_Dale
Explorer
Explorer
Diveman52 wrote:
On my Magic Chef range top there was not room to install the new electronic sparker (found a 3 wire unit on amazon) so I modded it with a remove switch which took the place of the old twist knob. Now I just have a small red button. Mounted the electronic sparker to a plate under the cook top. I used the original center mounter electrode and grounded the other two leads.

Diveman52,
I'm in the same situation, Magic Chef without enough room, and I really want to do this upgrade. Tried to find the 3 wire one you mention on Amazon but no luck. Could you please reply with the part number or a link to it.
Also do you plan on adding this mod to your motor home updates site?
Thanks,
Tom
02 Dodge 2500 CTD, Edge EZ, Goerend transmission (3.55 axle ratio), BrakeSmart, BD exhaust brake, Firestone Ride-Rite air bags, Husky 16K hitch & towing our 05 Americana LC30/31 RL

schneid
Explorer
Explorer
tenbear wrote:
Here is the link I found.

That's the one.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the link I found.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

ronfisherman
schneid wrote:
Amazon has the gizmo for $11.00 which is much cheaper than HD.

I did not find the same item or something similar on Amazon for that price. How about a link?
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

schneid
Explorer
Explorer
Amazon has the gizmo for $11.00 which is much cheaper than HD.

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
Harry Havasu wrote:
YES !!!

Great and creative idea and great pics, too.

Question: How do you keep your range so clean ???

Well, DW makes me cook bacon and sausage outside.:)