cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator Recepticle Install

wbharris357
Explorer
Explorer
Im new to the forum and somewhat new to RV'ing.
I just bought a new toy hauler that has the generator setup and had a hardwired Onan generator but it was removed before I bought it.
My question is can I wire in an RV receptacle to the existing wiring where the Onan was hooked up to plug in my Honda portable generators? there is a generator start switch in the trailer, I know I wont be able to use that option but I want to make sure I don't damage anything else.
The trailer tongue has a box for the generator so venting exhaust is not an issue.
8 REPLIES 8

huron52
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought my toy hauler it was generator ready (meaning it had a generator but it was removed before I bought it) The dealer suggested that a small portable generator plugged in to the shore power cord would be cheaper in the long run. I still haven't bought that small generator. Been able to run off my batteries or shore power when the need be.
2006 Dodge quad cab RAM 3500 drw 4X4 6 speed stick
2007 Fleetwood Redline 335 Toy Hauler

wbharris357
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
I hope you didn't wire up a receptacle as a generator input. If you did you would need a cord with two male ends to connect your generator to that receptacle. This is very dangerous as the exposed "hot" prongs can electrocute someone if the plug comes out.
The proper connection is a male plug or a flanged inlet which is a male plug mounted in a box or cover. You would then use a normal cord with one male end and one female end to connect the gen.
Maybe that's what you did and you're just calling it a receptacle. Semantics.

Yes, semantics. I wired it the same so I could use my existing plug used for shore line hook up. I'm not up to speed on the RV nomenclature yet. Thanks for the input.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Just get or make an adapter that will plug into your generator and an RV receptacle on the other end.
Then you will not need a transfer switch, or if there is one in the system, it will not need switching when using your generator.

Dusty

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I hope you didn't wire up a receptacle as a generator input. If you did you would need a cord with two male ends to connect your generator to that receptacle. This is very dangerous as the exposed "hot" prongs can electrocute someone if the plug comes out.
The proper connection is a male plug or a flanged inlet which is a male plug mounted in a box or cover. You would then use a normal cord with one male end and one female end to connect the gen.
Maybe that's what you did and you're just calling it a receptacle. Semantics.

wbharris357
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I wired up an RV receptacle to the original genset wiring but wanted to inquire with someone that had more experience than I about any potential damage before I tested the generators. I'll test it this weekend. I'll also look for the transfer switch just to know for the future.
Thanks for the help

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Transfer switch if equipped would be where shore power and generator wiring(factory) would come together normally around the 120 power distribution panel.
I am guessing that there is wire ran to tongue area to feed factory genset location.
If you are using shore power cord directly to genset, then you are ready to go!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

wbharris357
Explorer
Explorer
Might be an ignorant question but where would the transfer switch be located? There is a gen switch in the trailer that has a start indicator.
I'll be using the same cable for either the shore line hookup or the generators so I couldn't have them both hooked up at the same time.
It was a standard 3 wire (ground, neutral, power). 30amp.
I have run it on the twin paralleled eu2000i Hondas through the shore line power hook up.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You need to look in the rig to see if it has a transfer switch. There needs to be someway to prevent the genset from back-feeding through to the shore power cord.
Yes, you can install a receptacle.
Is your rig fifty or thirty amp? The fifty hase four pins on cord thrity has three.
How many wires are there where genset was?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker