cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Installing A&E (Dometic) 2100 power awning

louiskathy
Explorer
Explorer
We're going to install a 20 ft power awning on our 37 ft Winnebago Adventurer soon.

I thought it would be real easy to find a DIY video on YouTube but so far I was only able to find a manual online for a 915... we bought a 916. Installation manual for 915 XX YY

We're removing the old manual 19 ft awning, too.

Anyone out there done this themselves and would like to share some words of advice or video of the process? we'd appreciate it.

and I read that there was a recall on awnings / awning motors that had to do with units built in 2013. Ours does not fall into the 2013 recall.
Kathy
6 REPLIES 6

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I'd suggest to get an awning lock onto your new awning. That doesn't look roadworthy to me.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

louiskathy
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the outcome...
Winnebago's guy told us that there was metal all along the side of the MH where the brackets would be placed. (I gave him the serial number of our MH). I am sure that I told him the brackets were going below the awning rail. Besides, you'd think they would know that brackets MUST go below the awning rail... or else they would interfer with the movement of the awning.

When we drilled the holes for the brackets... we didn't find any structure material for the rear bracket. The old awning was at 19 ft. We could put the awning arm down the side at that point because the dryer vent was there. We went a foot longer ... and were totally taken by surprise when we drilled holes for the bracket and did not find anything to hold that bracket to the side.

I called Winnebago back... talked to the same guy... he was SURE that there was metal all along the side of the MH. I asked for him to send me the drawing he was looking at. He emailed me a PDF. As soon as I saw it, I knew, he did not have a CLUE where the brackets go. (They go BELOW the awning rail.)

Hubby made a bracket that he attached to the awning arm which enabled the awning arm to hang from the awning rail. Then he secured it below the awning rail, too. (So all the weight is on the awning rail.)

See for yourself... We DO NOT have any official engineering training. If you do this.. do this at your own risk.
Pics and Videohttps://picasaweb.google.com/117253848546820846335/9100DometicPowerAwning?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCK2MuY2opt-w1gE&feat=directlink
Kathy

louiskathy
Explorer
Explorer
Retired JSO wrote:
I was dragged (wife) into replacing our manual awning with a Dometic Power awning. I left the bottom/arm support brackets in place. The power awning is so flimsy and poorly made. I hate the new awning because every time we have a little breeze, the thing attempts to fly off so over to the switch I have to go and roll it up. Just as soon as this thing gives up, a new manual awning will be put back on.

Which style did you go with?? One style has the criss-cross arms and another has the "V" type arms.

Some awnings have automatic sensors that retract the awning automatically but ours doesn't have that sensor.
Kathy

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
I was dragged (wife) into replacing our manual awning with a Dometic Power awning. I left the bottom/arm support brackets in place. The power awning is so flimsy and poorly made. I hate the new awning because every time we have a little breeze, the thing attempts to fly off so over to the switch I have to go and roll it up. Just as soon as this thing gives up, a new manual awning will be put back on.

louiskathy
Explorer
Explorer
I talked to Winnebago and our MH has a support along the TOP to support the existing manual awning... and I was told by Winnebago that the weight of the power awning I intend to install is about the same weight at the manual awning that I'm going to replace.

The arms that come down on both sides really don't support the weight of the awning.

I still would appreciate any advice from those that have done this...
Kathy

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I did a lot of research on the subject and found there was one problem with going to an elect. model. The new awning requires there be a header at the top so you can install two large lag-screws (per instructions) that secure the upright arm assemblies. These are critical to support the whole awning assembly.
In my case the framing is aluminum and there was nothing up there but thin alum. channel and rigid insulation.
So there is no easy way to install one on our TT.