cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lithium Upgrade - Converter charger

pvelit
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I have a question: Can I use a "voltage Booster" after my smart convert/charger (3 stage charging - 45 amp) to boost the 13.6V to 14.4V needed by my new Lithium battery?

I just updated to new Lithium batteries, and a 300W solar panels. However. I would like to also be able to charge my batteries using the original converter/charger when plugged into AC power.

The "voltage booster" I have... I can set up the:
- Max output voltage from 12 to 60. I will set it to 14.4 or 14.6
- Constant current regulator. I will set it up to 30 max.

Looks like it should work. However, I am confuse on how the converter charger will behave since it has the 3 stage automatic charging.

If anyone has any insight please share.

Thank you,
17 REPLIES 17

pvelit
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you guys for your responses!

I was just worried about how the converter will behave when putting the "Voltage Booster" before the battery. I understand that the converter determines the
charging stage (Float, bulk, etc) automatically by reading the battery voltage. However, with the "Voltage booster" in between, I have no idea what charging stage the converter will pick? What voltage will it read from it?

I guess I will have to test it... I was hoping someone had tried this.

Replacing the converter to a Lithium compatible one will cost me around $200. Instead, if this works, I will spend only $15 for the Voltage Booster... just trying to save some money.

Thank you,

Paul

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
Progressive Dynamics told me that with my PD4635 converter charger and my 2 100AH Lifepo4 batteries I should push in the boost button to get the higher voltwge, It has worked well the few times I used it. I am not using it now.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
As long as you can get the voltages set correctly, I see no problem...other than you may have to babysit it. Most Li's don't have an absorb phase, so be aware of that. And float is likely unnecessary too.

Be sure your solar controller abides by the rules too.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman