cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane Line - Extra Long - 30+ feet?

Nunyadamn
Explorer
Explorer
I want to use the following two items connected to my quick connect propane connection on my trailer. Has anyone done this? I read somewhere that it would be hard because that line already installed for the quick connect is regulated - thread said can't do two regulators inline.

The two items are a portable grill and a portable fire ring like this one - http://www.walmart.com/ip/15422826?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0...
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
2015 Ford F250 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7L Powerstroke
10 REPLIES 10

OH48Lt
Explorer
Explorer
You can run 2 (or more) regulators on the same line. My unmodified Weber "Baby Q" runs great when supplied from the quick connect near the rear outside kitchen of my trailer, then through a 10' hose and the 4' hose that comes with the TT, about a 35' run total. You can put 30 regulators in line if you want to, all they do is lower the gas pressure to a set pressure. IOW, if you have 5 lbs pressure coming out of the regulator at your front propane tanks, it travels at 5 lbs through the system until it meets a lower regulator. From that regulator, it is then lowered to whatever that regulator is set at, often 1.5 lbs. If it encounters another 1.5 lb regulator, nothing happens. If it encounters a 3 lb regulator, it will still be at 1.5. You can run it 100 feet if you want, the pressure should remain the same unless you have a leak. Leak = bad.

You don't need much gas pressure to run appliances correctly. Check the pressure specs on your stick home furnace. Mine is 100,000 BTU, and requires only 3.5 lbs pressure. It was turned up too high (pressure coming into the house is 5.5 lbs), and the furnace guy adjusted the furnace to the manufacturers specified 3.5 lbs. It ran quieter and more efficient this past winter as a result. The 75000 BTU furnace in my barn runs off a 1.5 lb regulator at the propane tank outside, then to the 1.5 lb regulator at the furnace. Runs great.

The problem comes in when you run the gas through a 1.5 lb regulator, then it encounters an appliance that needs 3 lbs. Its not going to run very well.
2017 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
2014 Cruiser RV Fun Finder 215WKS
2015 Harley Road Glide Special in Amber Whiskey
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yamaha Grizzly 660 (his)
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.(hers)

Nunyadamn
Explorer
Explorer
Really great info - thanks to all. I will see if I can get this done on Sunday before we leave for a few days vacation.
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
2015 Ford F250 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7L Powerstroke

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
Getting rid of the reg on my camp grill still didn't do it cuz it required 15" to the orifice. 10" would barely melt a marshmallow. I tapped between the first and second stage regs and had enough pressure to keep the reg/control on the grill. Not all LP appliances are designed for 10" manifold pressure. 10" is the most common but certainly not the absolute rule. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a regulator the you can unscrew, it's a simple job. Most regulators are 1/8" male pipe thread.

Here's how I converted my Weber Q, yours might be similar but you'll get the idea:

WEBER CONVERSION
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hoses are readily available at RV dealers and shops and up to 20 - 25'. You could couple two lengths of hose together. I would get the largest diameter hose (3/8" ID?) rather than the smaller one that is available (1/4"?). With that long a hose you may get too much pressure drop - BTDT. The hose isn't necessarily cheap and you may want to shop around. The going price around here is $60 or so for a 20' hose. Probably good pricing on the internet if you can wait a bit.

I would also install a shutoff valve on the quick connect fitting under your unit. As pictured above, a dust/dirt cap for the quick connect is a good idea to keep it clean.

I've done this mod and it's pretty straightforward. Makes things a lot more convenient - well worth doing. Definitely gotta remove the regulator as stated above.

webslave
Explorer
Explorer
There are plenty of threads concerning what you are trying to do...you can peruse them to get ideas, but, the upshot of it is that you have to get units (grill and LP fire set) that have the on/off control seperate from the regulator. If you get your units with that feature it is a simple process to remove the regulator and replace it with a quick connect assembly.

I have a Weber Q120 and a Campfire-in-a-Can, both of them modified for quick connects. I also made up a quick connect "T" so that I can run both at the same time and I carry 2x 12', 1x 20' and 3x 4' hoses. Don't throw away the regulators... I converted the regulators to quick connects and now, if I want to use the grill on a picnic away from the campsite, I can quick connect the regulator back on and use a bottle of propane, available at any hardware store or Walmart.

I have regulators, modified for quick connect, that will handle the 1 lb. cans and another that will attach to the larger 20 lb. unit (primarily for if I want to take the Campfire-in-a-Can with us).

And... Yes, I have used a hose run of 32' a couple of times. You won't get as much flame or heat due to line pressure loss, but, for the Campfire-in-a-Can, I don't run it at "full bore" anyway, so, I just have to open the valve a bit more than if I use a shorter run.
My 2 cents, your mileage may vary...

Don
Bronwyn
Down to 1 kitty...J-Lo, the princess

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX
2015 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk Towed

calamus
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
2 regulators in series will result in very low gas pressure and not much fire. You will need to remove the one on the fire pit or connect before the one on the RV. A long hose is no problem. You could go to a welding supply place and they will make you a gas hose as long as you want.

X2 but you can also go to a home depot they will cut ridig pipe for you and you can do all your fitting in black iron pipe.
2015 3500HD Chevy Dually Duramax, 2008 Sundance 2014 22'SSX bennington pontoon

catmancando
Explorer
Explorer
Had to remove regulater on my fire pit to get it working right :C

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
2 regulators in series will result in very low gas pressure and not much fire. You will need to remove the one on the fire pit or connect before the one on the RV. A long hose is no problem. You could go to a welding supply place and they will make you a gas hose as long as you want.

mikeh449
Explorer
Explorer
remove regulators off of grill and fire pit and put female quick disconnect in their place