cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question on replacing vinyl sheet flooring

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a combination of old age and this Winter's severe temperature was too much for the vinyl flooring in my fiver - it ripped/cracked from one side to the other.
Must have shrunk first as 1/4" was pulled out from under the floor heat register.
My question - can I replace this with "Peel & Stick" tiles?
I have removed all the vinyl and the plywood underneath is smooth, clean and dry. But when I look at the instructions on a box of Armstrong tiles it tells me the temperature should never be allowed to fall below 55 degrees once the tiles are installed.
What is the downside? Will they shrink, peel off or what?
Has anyone else done this?
Any insight would be appreciated.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.
16 REPLIES 16

BigSkillet
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the update. Does it cut as easy as they say? When I'm ready to tackle that project later this year, I'm going the snap and lock route with Allure.

DennisSt99
Explorer
Explorer
I've now had the Allure installed in my 2002 Cougar for over a year and it has endured 2 Colorado winters with no problem. Looks great and easy to install.

DennisSt99
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info from both who responded. Luckily I don't have a very big area to replace so with the advice offered here it should go smoothly.

JD_and_Beastlet
Explorer
Explorer
We replaced our travel trailer flooring with TrafficMaster Allure this month. You can check out the project on our website - plenty of detail and photos:

http://www.restcure.ca/repairs_floor.html
2008 Starcraft ST 2700BH behind 2013 Ford F-150 SuperCrew EcoBoost FX4.
Linked by ProPride 3P 1400.
restcure.ca

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have used Allure in my seasonal TT. It's on the second year of use with temps down to -45.

DennisSt99
Explorer
Explorer
This is a first post so I hope I'm getting it the correct place...

I need to replace the torn linoleum in my 2002 Cougar and have been reading the posts about the Allure flooring option. I went to the Allure instruction manual at: http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/7f/7f23b8b8-723e-4a48-be74-a36c7051994d.pdf

and read the following:allure installation limitations:

allure is for [COLOR=]interior installations and only in
temperature controlled environments. You cannot
install allure in
solariums/sunrooms, over
carpets, or any exterior application including
seasonal porches, camping trailers and boats.

So my question is to those who are not full-timers and have installed Allure in a unit that is not temperature controlled and have been through a couple of winter/summer cycles- how has it held up?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated- thanks!

ringhand
Explorer
Explorer
The vinyl tore in my trailer also this winter. I was thinking of using the stick and peel squares also. But will have to look into the allure flooring.
2007 Jayco Jay Feather 29A
2007 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer EL

Leaf-Peeper
Explorer
Explorer
I used the snap lock version of Allure in our camper a few years back. This product is a floating flooring design and will expand and contract in changing temperatures.

I was amazed just how much it shrank when I went inside the camper the first winter after it was installed. Although I understood it was a floating floor and installed it as such the best I could, it still pulled loose between a few end joints in some areas. Come summertime, in the warmer weather, these gaps come close to closing back up.

My problem was being able to maintain the "floating" aspect of the installation in a few key areas, these mainly being under the toilet and under the pedestals of the dinning table.
'05 Chevy Tahoe & โ€™08 Rockwood Roo 23ss
'62 Myself
'62 Camper Honey
'96 Camper Twin Girls

davidgebo
Explorer
Explorer
We installed vinyl plank flooring in our 5th wheel, and it worked out great. The planks we used were peel and stick on the edges, about 3/4 inch of sticky adhesive. They stick together in a tongue-and-groove method. And they really stick!! Be sure the planks are properly lined up BEFORE you attach each plank to another. You cannot remove and re-align after they make contact. The planks are heavy and rugged, perfect for an RV, and really easy to put down.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Allure does have that disclaimer about using it in cold locations but many have used it with success in RVs. There's a number of vinyl plank laminate type products around.

I would not use anything that is glued to the subfloor, period. The flooring should be allowed to fully float to allow for temperature fluctuations and the resulting shrinkage and expansion. For an interlocking vinyl laminate, you'll need an expansion gap around the perimeter and then you'll need a baseboard material of some sort to cover the gap. I added 1/8" think interlocking laminate in a previous TT that had an ABS core. Worked quite well and 3 seasons later, my BIL who now owns the TT reports that the flooring has been excellent.

If you have to secure things like table legs to the floor, oversize the holes a bit so that the flooring material can move. Same at door sills, etc.

When sheet flooring shrinks, it will crack/tear at stress points like floor vents.

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
kaydeejay wrote:
old guy wrote:
have you looked at the flooring called Allure yet. Home Depot is where we got ours.
Thanks, but the Home Depot website says.... "For use indoors and temperature controlled environments only"
Hmmm, maybe not such a good idea after all?

Most product say that to cover their arse. Allure is very popular in RVs and they make 2 versions; 1 with a sticky edge to keep in place and could separate in extreme temp swings, and a "snap lock" version that will not separate in extreme conditions. Allure is vinyl and can get wet, other mfgs make similar products.
I like the "snap-lock" idea. Will check it out.
Thanks
Keith J.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
kaydeejay wrote:
old guy wrote:
have you looked at the flooring called Allure yet. Home Depot is where we got ours.
Thanks, but the Home Depot website says.... "For use indoors and temperature controlled environments only"

Most product say that to cover their arse. Allure is very popular in RVs and they make 2 versions; 1 with a sticky edge to keep in place and could separate in extreme temp swings, and a "snap lock" version that will not separate in extreme conditions. Allure is vinyl and can get wet, other mfgs make similar products.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:
Keith J.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer