cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question on Smart Tiles or Flex Tiles for TT

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking we will install a tile back splash in our new Coachmen Apex TT. We have looked at the Smart Tiles and were not really impressed with the thickness / look. We found another product called Flex Tile which would allow us to use a more S & B type back splash material ( we would use a light weight tile ) but requires more labor. Couple of questions:

1- Has anyone here used the Flex Tile system? After looking at the video http://www.flextile.com/RV-tiling-tips.htm it does not appear too difficult and sounds like it would work in a TT / RV.

2- Our counter is in the picture below. The frig is on the right of the stove. Has anyone had success in tiling over this fake wood type material ( cabinet of the frig )? Opinions?

3-Does the oven vent at stove rear create a problem ( heat )?

4-Other hints or suggestions?

Thanks,
9 REPLIES 9

bcsslc
Explorer
Explorer
About 12"x12"

lushy
Explorer
Explorer
bcsslc wrote:

This is what we did in ours. Easy installation and wound definitely recommend the stainless steel. I bought mine from homedepot and it was just a stock item As in no cutting. As far as the tiles go ... make sure the you clean the surface the very best you can,and let it completely dry. While it is drying layout a large section of your tile. .. about two sheets wide x four or five long. Notice how they lock together. They are designed to from left to right and from bottom to top. As far as cutting the tile, I started out with a utility knife and quickly moved to scissors. One last tip.... remove as much of the wall plates, blinds, towel rack etc. ..... as you can And then reinstall on top of the tiles.
Good luck.

Not sure others are referring to the same tile that you have inquired about. So to be clear. .. the tiles I used are a peal and stick. No setting material or grouting required. I bought all of my supplies from HD.

Nice Job! That turned out looking very sharp. What did you use to adhere the tile panels? *EDITED* Sorry I didn't see the peal and stick. What size does the tiles come in?
2011 Jayco Jay Feather Select 29L, Blue Ox Sway Pro
2007.5 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Duramax Diesel, Air Lift

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks folks for all the info...still deciding what to do..

bcsslc
Explorer
Explorer

This is what we did in ours. Easy installation and wound definitely recommend the stainless steel. I bought mine from homedepot and it was just a stock item As in no cutting. As far as the tiles go ... make sure the you clean the surface the very best you can,and let it completely dry. While it is drying layout a large section of your tile. .. about two sheets wide x four or five long. Notice how they lock together. They are designed to from left to right and from bottom to top. As far as cutting the tile, I started out with a utility knife and quickly moved to scissors. One last tip.... remove as much of the wall plates, blinds, towel rack etc. ..... as you can And then reinstall on top of the tiles.
Good luck.

Not sure others are referring to the same tile that you have inquired about. So to be clear. .. the tiles I used are a peal and stick. No setting material or grouting required. I bought all of my supplies from HD.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
The Flex Tile is bog standard ceramic tile and the seller offers silicone adhesive as the mastic and grout. If you visit your local big box store, you can buy the same tile and adhesives that will do the job just as well. When grouting, use a latex admixture so that the grout stays stable.

FWIW, I have about 100 sf of tile in my TT, surrounding my furnace and in the entry area. I used non-glazed double'fired tile but any good cuality tile will work. The trick of tiling any area in an RV is: a stable sub-structure, mastic that will not break loose, grouting with latex admixture.

I see alot of RV'ers choosing the plastic sheet tile and they report good results. I used sheet copper for my stove backsplash for looks, endurance, easy cleanup, and I had some in stock. With a metal backsplash, there will be no worries about adhesion and it is a lot easier to keep clean with my frying skills.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
I install smart tile 2 years ago and I don't have any problem .
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks bcssic, I did a search before asking and think I read that one.

I get no results with a flex tile search ( other than mine )

1-I was looking for experience with the flex tile and

2-also anyone who might have tried to tile the side of the frig cabinet.

bcsslc
Explorer
Explorer
This a link on this forum you should check out.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27962565/gotomsg/27966534.cfm#27966534

Or search for "flex tile " or "backslash tile"

Fishbreath
Explorer II
Explorer II
riven

You might also consider a piece of sheet stainless steel. It would be very affordable and easily glued to the wood. It makes clean-up a snap. Any metal supply house should be able to cut it to size.

Bill