cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Re-roof

toonpopo
Explorer
Explorer
I am wondering if anyone can offer advice on my re roof project. This is my first RV and bought it knowing it had roof issues. I have torn off the EPDM material and all the glued down Luan sheeting. I am now in process of trying to get the new material to start building it back but I cannot find any Luan/plywood in the 99" length that was on there that I need to fit all the width way across.

Anyone know where I can get 9' lengths of Luan or plywood in Canada? The second issue I am running into is that the exterior frame of RV roof is 1" aluminum with very few trusses running across, thus I won't be able to screw down the sheets leaving me to PL300 the sheets back down to the rigid insulation. Is this advisable or should I look at somehow adding structure in the voids to enable me to screw the sheathing down.

Please hElP!! Thanks
3 REPLIES 3

spike99
Explorer
Explorer
I would install more trusses between the existing trusses. Make my own trusses using stick boards, a jig and water (to bend the boards in a convex shape). Then, install a few days later. I'd use deck screws and galvanized fasteners. . Ya, lots of individual board and custom manual work. But, well worth it in the long run. Especially if you want to remove the soft feeling from the roof. I would then install (glue and screw) 1/4" plywood the the new roof. With less distance between trusses, 1/4" plywood is good.

After plywood is down and its but joints are filled / sanded, I'm probably lay down some liquid EDPM (instead of sheets of EDPM). Liquid EDPM is bright white and best of all, it it doesn't shed its outer layer - to create black streaks (like sheets of EDPM). For more info, surf: - click here -

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I would make some more trusses if there aren't enough to install the sheets.
Try a full-service lumber yard for plywood in the larger dimension. There are sheet goods available in longer than 8' dimension.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
When the shop redid our roof, they used 1/4 plywood. They had to waste some to keep on the roof supports.
After installing the plywood, they used a waterproof leveling compound to go over all the seems.
I do not remember on my rig of any problems with screwing down.
They did not put EDPM back on. They used the Brite-tek TPO style with the backing.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker