cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Remove refrigerator cabinet from '70's TravelTrailer

pattikakers
Explorer
Explorer
Cabinet has a built up floor. Do I remove this built up floor first? I am making a guest house out of this 24' Ideal Travel Trailer. The fridge cabinet has to go. Is it only screwed in? Is the bottom screwed into the floor? Do I just use a sawsall and cut the thing out? I really don't want to damage the wall too much, but I have to get rid of this cabinet. Thanks!!
4 REPLIES 4

recycler
Explorer
Explorer
if it is like alot of camper it is most likely screwed in from outside before insulated and sided..so you may have to sawzall it apart and push the screw up into walls and ceiling afterword
1999 F550 truck conversion

westend
Explorer
Explorer
2W191 wrote:
Most of those in that era were put together with clutch head screws, staples, or nailed together. The clutch bits can be a bit tricky to find, but are usually available at hardware stores. They may come out with a Phillips bit, but you're likely to strip them out.
Correct! My Starcaft used "Clutch head-C" heads. The bits are available at any of the big-box stores.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

2W191
Explorer
Explorer
Most of those in that era were put together with clutch head screws, staples, or nailed together. The clutch bits can be a bit tricky to find, but are usually available at hardware stores. They may come out with a Phillips bit, but you're likely to strip them out.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
The only way to answer this question on a unit that age is by looking at the cabinet itself.

I presume you've already removed the fridge...stick your head in the hole and look for fasteners. If it was screwed in, it should be readily apparent. If it's part of the rest of the countertop/cabinetry, that should show, too.
Also:
I doubt that cutting it out with a Sawzall would have a deleterious effect on the supporting structure, if that's one of your concerns in that department.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien